Author Topic:  Sprinting  (Read 2431 times)

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • Steam: TotalMiner
Re: Sprinting
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
First off, Let me state that I know sprinting is one of the most requested ideas by far, And it always gets shot down because we already move faster than MC sprinting.

I am not suggesting sprinting to increase our speed even further past that, That would be ridiculous. Instead I am suggesting that we reduce the default speed of the player and all mobs and make the current default speed be sprinting speed.

The reason for this is simple. Without a difference in speed, Chases in combat will get nowhere. If sprinting is added, Then this will allow defenders a chance to make a speedy getaway, And it will allow attackers a chance to close the gap. Assuming that sprinting has a limited timer, Chases will become more enjoyable because you will have to time your sprinting to either get away, Or close the gap.

Another side effect of this is that it gives you a limited chance to run away from mobs that are normally way faster than you. Eg. Werewolves and Trolls.

Combat in TM has potential with its unique weapons and armours, But the movement system totally kills that potential by making combat a jumping contest. This would be the first in many steps to fix that and make combat more interesting.

Such a good idea, maybe if this was implemented with some sort of stamina bar and/or huger and thirst i think it would work well.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »
Such a good idea, maybe if this was implemented with some sort of stamina bar and/or huger and thirst i think it would work well.

That's another common idea that gets shot down fairly frequently. Personally, I think this could (and should) work independently of those features. As it is, This would not be a huge gameplay change, It would just add a small tweak to make things a bit more interesting. Adding proper stamina, Hunger, And thirst is better suited to a script or mod IMO.

In addition, Stamina would be practically useless and just annoying. Imagine having to stop mining every minute or two to recharge your stamina. Weapons already have cooldowns to their swinging, So that makes that part unnecessary. At that point, The only reason to have a stamina bar would be for sprinting, And I don't think that is worth the screen space. I don't think you should be able to sprint infinitely, But I don't think a stamina bar is necessary.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 05:50:35 PM »

That's another common idea that gets shot down fairly frequently. Personally, I think this could (and should) work independently of those features. As it is, This would not be a huge gameplay change, It would just add a small tweak to make things a bit more interesting. Adding proper stamina, Hunger, And thirst is better suited to a script or mod IMO.

In addition, Stamina would be practically useless and just annoying. Imagine having to stop mining every minute or two to recharge your stamina. Weapons already have cooldowns to their swinging, So that makes that part unnecessary. At that point, The only reason to have a stamina bar would be for sprinting, And I don't think that is worth the screen space. I don't think you should be able to sprint infinitely, But I don't think a stamina bar is necessary.

Good point, i was thinking more along the lines of only sprinting effecting your stamina. I would not mind mining affecting it but it would be at a much slower pace then sprinting. I'm sure most of these features will be added with mods anyway.

pierce

• Dudes with guitars
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Bandtastical
  • Steam: Bandtastical
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:05 AM »
ik nobody has replied to this in a while, but if people don’t want this to be added because of how parkour will be “ruined”, then maybe we can have the option to enable or disable sprint in zones. btw great idea!!! i’ve always wanted this enough that i just made my own scripts for sprinting.

kurt cobain, is the real tragedy.

KeefdaQueef

• I am a teen and legally depressed
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Keefer511
  • Steam: Keit511
« Reply #19 on: Today at 11:52:06 AM »
ik nobody has replied to this in a while, but if people don’t want this to be added because of how parkour will be “ruined”, then maybe we can have the option to enable or disable sprint in zones. btw great idea!!! i’ve always wanted this enough that i just made my own scripts for sprinting.
The whole point is to reduce movement speed and use Sprint to move like the regular speed we are used to.
Keep Calm n' Keep Er' Goin!

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Today at 04:33:18 PM »
The whole point is to reduce movement speed and use Sprint to move like the regular speed we are used to.

This makes more sense.