Author Topic:  Dealing With Depression  (Read 3390 times)

December Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
Re: Dealing With Depression
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:05 AM »
Hi guys. A lot of you know me around here as Jim, or any other name you can come up with for me. My real name is Jamie. I am currently 17 years old, turning 18 on The 13th of May. I am currently in my last year of school, working a job and trying to make something of my life.

I joined and started playing this game back around September of 2011 and I never made a forums account until 2014 which means I never got to talk to any of you guys on here. Back then I used to play this game all the time with a few friends and we would be on this game for about 5+ hours every single day on DigDeep, trying to build a house in the first "hell" and constantly dying every few minutes.

However those days are long gone as those friends who I just mentioned (there were 4 of them) I'm the only one who still has an Xbox out of those guys and we have spoken to each other in years. They've all grown up and gotten jobs and don't have time for Xbox sadly. Which is a sad feeling since we were always online with each other and playing this game, and other games, all the time back in the day.

But I wanted to say this other thing too..

I have been dealing with depression for well over a year now.

It's been really, really tough on me, and there's been sometimes where I've been struggling so badly with it and don't know what to do, that I just sit in silence and think about what I'm actually doing with my life. I mostly get negative thoughts which really isn't good at all. I haven't got any suicidal thoughts yet which is good because I've recently been starting to improve and talk to people.

The first people that I told about my depression were my parents and honestly just from telling them, it made me feel so much better as they sat and talked with me for a solid 2 hours, as soon as I told them, they were doing the best that they could in asking me what was causing it and trying to help me solve my problems which really improved my health siverely.

The main things that I've been struggling with are school, my job and relationships. School and my job being the main cause of my depression. See, I'm currently in my very last year in school which is called "Upper 6th" over here in the UK (I'm not quite sure what that is over in the U.S. etc) But it has really taken a toll on me as I've been constantly swamped in work and other issues that I was finding it hard to deal with. My job has affected me a lot too, being that I really don't like it and dealing with innapropriate and rude customers. I really dislike my job but I need the money for a lot of things at this current stage of my life and I can't afford to quit as there are no jobs out there.

Ever since I got really involved with this community, talking to people and playing with you guys on Xbox. It's has really helped me so much it's amazing. I still suffer with depression but it's not as bad as it was over a year ago. As I said I left the Total Miner Discord last night as I was struggling with something just a little bit and I could be bothered listening and banning those trolls that joined last night, just to scream in the voice chat.

Trub was roasting me last night in the voice chat but that was just good banter and Trub being Trub.

I have to thank bob too for adding me to the Total Miner team and letting me be a Jr. Moderator. Ever since then, I've felt like I've had an important role to play and set and example for the new-comers and members in general. Because ever since I became a Jr. Mod, I've became really good friends with a lot of you guys on here, which has really, really, really helped me deal with my depression, as I have had people to talk to and chat with. Talking with people when you have depression really helps a person deal with their depression, as keeping quiet and bottling up your emotions is so incredibly bad for you, it's terrible.

Thank you so much everybody for letting me be a part of your community! Thank you bob for letting me be a part of the Total Miner team! Thank you Craig for creating the game in general, as if it weren't for him, this game and community wouldn't exist and I would have never gotten the chance to talk to any of you guys!

You guys have really helped me deal with my depression and I am slowly getting better. It will take a long while to overcome my depression but I am getting there slowly but surely.

I'll say it again! Thank you everyone so much for letting me be apart of your community! It has really helped me deal with my depression and if it weren't for you guys, I could've possibly been in an entirely different mindset in life.

Thank you so much!

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

Sargnarg the Hardge Harg

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 04:24:19 AM »
Hi guys. A lot of you know me around here as Jim, or any other name you can come up with for me. My real name is Jamie. I am currently 17 years old, turning 18 on The 13th of May. I am currently in my last year of school, working a job and trying to make something of my life.

I joined and started playing this game back around September of 2011 and I never made a forums account until 2014 which means I never got to talk to any of you guys on here. Back then I used to play this game all the time with a few friends and we would be on this game for about 5+ hours every single day on DigDeep, trying to build a house in the first "hell" and constantly dying every few minutes.

However those days are long gone as those friends who I just mentioned (there were 4 of them) I'm the only one who still has an Xbox out of those guys and we have spoken to each other in years. They've all grown up and gotten jobs and don't have time for Xbox sadly. Which is a sad feeling since we were always online with each other and playing this game, and other games, all the time back in the day.

But I wanted to say this other thing too..

I have been dealing with depression for well over a year now.

It's been really, really tough on me, and there's been sometimes where I've been struggling so badly with it and don't know what to do, that I just sit in silence and think about what I'm actually doing with my life. I mostly get negative thoughts which really isn't good at all. I haven't got any suicidal thoughts yet which is good because I've recently been starting to improve and talk to people.

The first people that I told about my depression were my parents and honestly just from telling them, it made me feel so much better as they sat and talked with me for a solid 2 hours, as soon as I told them, they were doing the best that they could in asking me what was causing it and trying to help me solve my problems which really improved my health siverely.

The main things that I've been struggling with are school, my job and relationships. School and my job being the main cause of my depression. See, I'm currently in my very last year in school which is called "Upper 6th" over here in the UK (I'm not quite sure what that is over in the U.S. etc) But it has really taken a toll on me as I've been constantly swamped in work and other issues that I was finding it hard to deal with. My job has affected me a lot too, being that I really don't like it and dealing with innapropriate and rude customers. I really dislike my job but I need the money for a lot of things at this current stage of my life and I can't afford to quit as there are no jobs out there.

Ever since I got really involved with this community, talking to people and playing with you guys on Xbox. It's has really helped me so much it's amazing. I still suffer with depression but it's not as bad as it was over a year ago. As I said I left the Total Miner Discord last night as I was struggling with something just a little bit and I could be bothered listening and banning those trolls that joined last night, just to scream in the voice chat.

Trub was roasting me last night in the voice chat but that was just good banter and Trub being Trub.

I have to thank bob too for adding me to the Total Miner team and letting me be a Jr. Moderator. Ever since then, I've felt like I've had an important role to play and set and example for the new-comers and members in general. Because ever since I became a Jr. Mod, I've became really good friends with a lot of you guys on here, which has really, really, really helped me deal with my depression, as I have had people to talk to and chat with. Talking with people when you have depression really helps a person deal with their depression, as keeping quiet and bottling up your emotions is so incredibly bad for you, it's terrible.

Thank you so much everybody for letting me be a part of your community! Thank you bob for letting me be a part of the Total Miner team! Thank you Craig for creating the game in general, as if it weren't for him, this game and community wouldn't exist and I would have never gotten the chance to talk to any of you guys!

You guys have really helped me deal with my depression and I am slowly getting better. It will take a long while to overcome my depression but I am getting there slowly but surely.

I'll say it again! Thank you everyone so much for letting me be apart of your community! It has really helped me deal with my depression and if it weren't for you guys, I could've possibly been in an entirely different mindset in life.

Thank you so much!
TL:DR

Just kidding. Anyway, I think I think for everyone here when I say we appreciate you too. I know exactly what you mean too. This a good community that allows you to be a part of something bigger, even when you feel like you don't have anyone

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
I've known you for a while Jim, we used to build maps and play maps etc.. You've honestly been one of the best people I've met on TM. Stay strong, I'm here if you need anything - and will always be here.

Good luck fighting the rest of your depression
TheDestinedCrab.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Keep fighting the good fight, Jamie. We all love you here, And I personally think that from what I have seen of you, You are one of those people who seems to have a lot of natural talent.

I'm only very slightly younger than you, So I know the feeling of drifting away from old Xbox friends that you used to talk to every day. I had a group of 4-5 people who I used play Halo Reach custom games with a whole lot. They've all moved on in life, Or are just in a position where I am no longer in contact with any of them.
There's only one of them whom I still regularly talk to.

I don't know how much help this advice will be, But perhaps you should try turning negative thoughts into something positive. I'll use building in TM as an example here.

Say you build something and your first thought about it is "This sucks, Why even bother?" What you can then try to do is ask yourself questions about the negative thought. "Why does this suck?" "Does it really suck, Or am I just being negative?" "How can I improve this so it no longer sucks?" Once you have answers to all of your questions, You can then turn that information into something positive. Say you have figured out why you think your build sucks, You can then go in and fix all of that to make it suck less.

Also, Just a fun fact. Your first contact with me was telling all recent players that you had a drop party going on your deathmine...

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

RemoteBeef092

• Fresh Meat
  • Rubber
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: RemoteBeef092
  • Steam: RemoteBeef092
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
I haven't, or don't really talk to you often, and haven't been on here long, but I do wanna say, gg m8, it is depressing when you have a job and move on from those childhood/younger memories, but at the same time you will create new ones you can reflect on. I hope you continue on your progression, good luck. Also, very well written, Jim.
Ayeee

December Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
Thanks guys for the support. I really needed it. I'm still depressed and probably will be for a load of years to come as it takes a long, long time for people to overcome depression.

As of now I am slowly getting better and with your guys support it makes it all that better for me!

I love this community and thank you guys so much!

Sargnarg the Hardge Harg

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »
Thanks guys for the support. I really needed it. I'm still depressed and probably will be for a load of years to come as it takes a long, long time for people to overcome depression.

As of now I am slowly getting better and with your guys support it makes it all that better for me!

I love this community and thank you guys so much!
If you have a kik you can feel free to message me whenever you need someone to talk to

#BanAtlas

December Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
As of this point my depression is basically non-existent. I've just been carrying on with my life and haven't felt this happy in ages!

Right now I'm in a comfortable position, however the only thing that's in my way is the fact that I'm out of a job. I left my construction job a few weeks ago and have struggled to find a new job just so I can make a bit of money. I've had a few job interviews but I'm still sitting jobless.

I'm currently in a good position in life right now. I'm in a comfortable relationship with my girlfriend, my family are doing well, my grandad who recently got his leg amputated has gotten moved into a care home close to our house and just overall everything seems to be going well!

I'm in a completely different mindset to what I was this time last year. I feel so much happier compared to then.

Remember if you're ever feeling down or in a really bad mindset, please talk to your family, friends or relatives because you have so many people that love and care about you. Don't bottle your feelings up. Please talk to someone!

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: TotalMiner
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 02:53:19 AM »
As of this point my depression is basically non-existent. I've just been carrying on with my life and haven't felt this happy in ages!

Right now I'm in a comfortable position, however the only thing that's in my way is the fact that I'm out of a job. I left my construction job a few weeks ago and have struggled to find a new job just so I can make a bit of money. I've had a few job interviews but I'm still sitting jobless.

I'm currently in a good position in life right now. I'm in a comfortable relationship with my girlfriend, my family are doing well, my grandad who recently got his leg amputated has gotten moved into a care home close to our house and just overall everything seems to be going well!

I'm in a completely different mindset to what I was this time last year. I feel so much happier compared to then.

Remember if you're ever feeling down or in a really bad mindset, please talk to your family, friends or relatives because you have so many people that love and care about you. Don't bottle your feelings up. Please talk to someone!

That's great to hear jim! Don't let the small things in life affect you buddy!
                          Owner Of Our Atmosphere Series!

cY Agent 115

• Death to trolls on the forums
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: cY Agent 115
  • Steam: cY Agent 115
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 07:03:59 AM »
If there's anything i can say about depression is that it will always come back.

I won't bore people with details but i can say that i've been beaten by own mind since my early teens. I was a good-for-nothing 19 year old who had "wasted" his last teen years playing computer games and not making anything of myself. One day i had motivation to look for a job. fortunately I found one that day. i went in for an interview and i felt like my life was turning around. Working in a retail store for about 9 months with customers built my confidence to interact with people, and to see someone smile as they say "thanks" is one of the most lifting and underrated sayings of all time. It makes you feel like you've done something good, and doing good things is how i get happy and confident.

I left the retail life and started working in a McRibtail bar where i learned how to make McRibtails and the like. this job has the been the best thing that was happened to me since TMF. When you make a drink from scratch that someone enjoys and is "amazed" by the technique and taste of it, it fills you with confidence. my "depression and anxiety" works around the feeling of rejection. If i feel rejected, i feel down and kinda bad. Since i started flair bartending (flipping bottles), ive seen more people compliment me on my McRibtail making. Here's a video of where ive come with 2 months training (at the time). https://www.facebook.com/tommy.gorst/videos/vb.100003464475957/1318877914904345/?type=2&theater

The bottom line is, to fight depression you need to find something fun to put your mind off it, TMPC will definitely help me personally haha.

Sargnarg the Hardge Harg

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
If you need a job, try gas stations. My last job, the only "interview" I had was a drug test. At my current job, I walked in and asked for an application. Instead he looked at my resume and asked if I could come in for training in 4 hours and work an 8 hour shift the next 4 days. Gas station employee turnover rates are pretty high because it's a good place to work lots of hours while looking for a new job. Currently I am pulling in just under $1600 a month. It's not much, but having something to do definitely makes me hate myself alot less.

#BanAtlas

December Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
If you need a job, try gas stations. My last job, the only "interview" I had was a drug test. At my current job, I walked in and asked for an application. Instead he looked at my resume and asked if I could come in for training in 4 hours and work an 8 hour shift the next 4 days. Gas station employee turnover rates are pretty high because it's a good place to work lots of hours while looking for a new job. Currently I am pulling in just under $1600 a month. It's not much, but having something to do definitely makes me hate myself alot less.

I've actually gotten a few job interviews for a bunch of different places which includes a pet shop and fish and chips shop. I actually have a job interview for McDonald's next Wednesday. I'm only going to be working until September 2018 where I can go back to college or maybe start university. Basically I'm taking a year off to make a bit of money and start what I want to do when next September rolls around.

Joel

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
There is only one way to kill Depression....Change the mindset....(The mind is really powerful and i heard story that this one guy was thinking he was giving birth and felt the pain of it too but turns out he was only thinking of it) anyways if you think your depress your going to be depress and to sum this up with a little saying that most people don't know "You are what you think you are" and that applies to everyone. Now jobs are jobs be positive that you will get a job and you will have it.