Author Topic:  How the awards system works  (Read 22692 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How the awards system works
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
That seems very ineffective because there are a lot of active members who are active because they enjoy it, but don't have the time to spend on the forums spamming post like some of the people who received this award. I'm not saying every person should get this award, but seems like an injustice to reward some of the active members and not the others because some have more time to spare than others.

That's true that there's plenty of active members who didn't get the award for whatever reason. But there's not really a better way to do it. The other option would be me going through all the members and judging them individually. ie, Joe gets it, Fred doesn't, Tim gets it, Bill doesn't. Which would only lead to Fred and Bill moaning and complaining about how bob likes Joe and Tim better. At least this way there was already a predetermined goal and whoever got there got there, and has some sort of statistic to back up their reasoning for having the award.

Like I said before this is a one time only award, so people won't need to be competing for it. As far as a reward for other active members, requirements, etc. I don't know. I don't have any particularly amazing ideas at the moment. I'm sure something will come to me sooner or later.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT GoatOnTheMoon
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2015, 05:21:01 PM »
That's true that there's plenty of active members who didn't get the award for whatever reason. But there's not really a better way to do it. The other option would be me going through all the members and judging them individually. ie, Joe gets it, Fred doesn't, Tim gets it, Bill doesn't. Which would only lead to Fred and Bill moaning and complaining about how bob likes Joe and Tim better. At least this way there was already a predetermined goal and whoever got there got there, and has some sort of statistic to back up their reasoning for having the award.

Like I said before this is a one time only award, so people won't need to be competing for it. As far as a reward for other active members, requirements, etc. I don't know. I don't have any particularly amazing ideas at the moment. I'm sure something will come to me sooner or later.

Valid Point.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: Mythical Monkey
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »
Considering the fact that no one appreciates these awards bugs me top 10 no one saw coming neither did I I can say so its brilliant it was a surprise noticing a new award on 30 members list also allot of awards will be hard to make

You are only excited about this award being added since you are one of the members receiving it.

acually no even if i didnt get it i would be ok with it i have no problem its an award better luck next time

Thanks! I will make sure to be incorrect about my next post, but this award is a just as a good as any award you could've been given for helping out.

what

yes I do help and id be glad to see more but you can only go to far you guys got to relies theres over 1000 members not counting but IM sure there is but anyway off that that's a good amount of hours going thorough the list and being me the member I am

I have no idea what you are saying here due to the lack of punctuation.

every topic it has to get brought up right

I still don't know what that means, I am going to assume you mean "Every topic it has, has to be brought up, correct?" In that case yes, but it has nothing to do withbeing the member you are.

I want to give back and help out

you cut out half of it

so I asked bob he said yes so I go through it enough times to know how long it really takes to go through the list of awards each month considering I also run a youtube.

I never want to say how hard someone works unless I do know for sure but unless you're running a multi-thousand subscriber channel, Youtube is not that hard to keep control of.

its noot about the money i like to give full effort but htis isnt about youtube

I never said anything about money, why are you bringing it up here?

subscribers=veiws=Money so there for you kinda did but off that

that's allot and I don't complain I offered the help I enjoy it cus I know I am helping and I now know why bob struggled sometimes to do it ive done it since august till April and IM still doing it no plans to stop I don't ask for a I helped award cus IM just helping

You're fine with not receiving an "I Helped" award because you received this award instead.

ive done this for 9 months i never asked bob for one award nor this one

Never said you did, but you're okay with not receiving any award for it because this award was a substitute whether you realize it or not.

neither did I ask for motm

Wouldn't have mattered anyway.

just getting it out there

but beyond that I want the forums to know IM first to say IM sure bob would love to give you guys what you want all of you from new to old but that's hard to do really hard to do I respect bob for all his will and try to make this a better place hopefully we can all understand it  ^-^

I'm not doubting bob wants the best for the forums, I simply have a problem with an award that has no actual challenge to getting. An award is given for completed something challenging (For instance a trophy) and since this award is going to the people who spend the most time award on the forums, its basically the "Hey you tried to play and your Mom payed for the season so here's your ribbon" award.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: Mythical Monkey /mm

The White Wabbit

• Legendary Member
  • Are you a solo builder too?
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Nobodies56
  • PSN: A_Blessed_Potato
  • Steam: Ray
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
New award added. If your name appears here http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?action=stats you've won

HEY! About a year and a bit ago I was in the top ten posters striking number 8 just underneath Clerical (at the time)! This is outrageous how you forgot my proudest moment xD

On a serious note what happens if you get knocked out the top ten? There has been many members in that board who were shoved off and forgotten about. If that would be the case, those knocked off the board now and keep the title would seem unfair for all who have been here before. Just food for thought.

Edit: Just saw bobs other post ignore my rant if you want it's already been answered xD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:57:51 PM by The White Wabbit »

Thanks GK for the new sig it looks great!

You may be able to teach a chimp to dance, but will he dance for your tune?

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
This award only promotes the spamming of the forum with nonsense posts and leaving you computer on 24/7.

I wouldn't say it promotes it, because the awards have already been handed out and no one saw them coming.

It could be seen as a form of positive reinforcement, though, sure.

I don't see why this is worth arguing over, though. These awards don't get us anything. I'm still the same Conmaan I was before I got the shiny badge by my name, and so is everyone else.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Lightning

• Solo City Builder
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Star
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2015, 01:59:37 AM »
most likely not that be allot of year celibrateing lol but yay for bob he maid another award ^-^ and now i have 4 awards  ??? never did i expect getting one i guess that almost 3000 post mean something on states now lol but bob im glade i can help :D
well i mean the yearly awards would replace the previous, like you wouldn't have a 1 year and 2 year award, the 2 year would replace the spot of the 1 year award
hi hi hi hi hi hi

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2015, 02:21:43 AM »
well i mean the yearly awards would replace the previous, like you wouldn't have a 1 year and 2 year award, the 2 year would replace the spot of the 1 year award
??? thats allot of work brings me back to up just updatein founder vetran die hard and 1 year take a solid 1 to 2 hours now think trying to figure out whos 1 year expires to a 2 year thats allot of work and the new top 10 is to celibrate the 2 years

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2015, 08:07:46 AM »
So, A few people, (Agy, Craig) Who got the award, Were top 10 on multiple boards, How was this dealt with? Was the award given exclusively to the people who's names appear there, Or was this compensated for in some way to give it to say the 11th person on the specified board, If and only if someone in the 10 shown had the award already?

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
So, A few people, (Agy, Craig) Who got the award, Were top 10 on multiple boards, How was this dealt with? Was the award given exclusively to the people who's names appear there, Or was this compensated for in some way to give it to say the 11th person on the specified board, If and only if someone in the 10 shown had the award already?
Anyone that placed more than once just ate up 2 possible spots instead of 1

Jared

• Supreme Member
  • Maze/Trivia Builder & Previous Total Miner Tester
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jeff McNewmen
  • PSN: Jeff_McNewmen
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
Anyone that placed more than once just ate up 2 possible spots instead of 1
Damn.

《Thank You GK & Mysterio For These Astonishing Signitures!》

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
2 year awards are up now. 300 post minimum on those. I've assigned them, but if you're supposed to have it and don't, send me a message and let me know

Jesse

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »
yay more awards i can update  :) bob i got you  ^-^

Ark

• YouTuber
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2015, 06:15:52 PM »
Bob, what plugin did you use for the Awards on SMF, is it Auto Awards or what? Please tell me ill give you credit on my page an make you a custom award if u like.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • ヽ(`⌒)ノ
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2015, 06:36:21 PM »
Bob, what plugin did you use for the Awards on SMF, is it Auto Awards or what? Please tell me ill give you credit on my page an make you a custom award if u like.
The awards are not automatic, all of them are awarded manually by Mr. Bob himself!

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

Ark

• YouTuber
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
The awards are not automatic, all of them are awarded manually by Mr. Bob himself!
I understand I was asking what plugin he used to perform that action.