Author Topic: [Answered] Zone script problem  (Read 203 times)

Lord Leo

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Circle cat113
[Answered] Zone script problem
« on: March 31, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
var [plotnum] = [history:plots\8x8]
Zone [Plots\8x8\Zone [var:plotnum]] [prel:0,-200,0] [prel:8,200,8]
History [plots\8x8] [+1]

Problem: Names the zone "Zone [var:plotnum]" rather than "Zone " + string(plotnum)

Sadly what i wanted to do is now abandoned.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:30:44 PM by Lord Leo »

Marked as best answer by Circlecat113 on March 31, 2018, 06:20:26 PM

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Zone script problem
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
This isn't supported and probably never will be because Craig is against the idea because of the ramifications of having too many zones and no way of really dealing with that unless you manually go through and delete them.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Lord Leo

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
This isn't supported and probably never will be because Craig is against the idea because of the ramifications of having too many zones and no way of really dealing with that unless you manually go through and delete them.
oof, ill need over than 200 zones for this map idea

Stoneart

• "There's always time to get your block's off"
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Discord link to my game (Coven)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: stoneart
  • PSN: Xx_Phoenix_Down_xX
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
Yeah, I didn't want to crush your dreams. Maybe there is a workaround. Good luck!

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
It's not the number of zones per se, the game can handle 200-500 zones reasonably ok. The problem I have is with creating zones specifically tied to gamers, gamers that might join the game a few times then never return, and these gamer tied zones just start accumulating and never get purged unless done manually by the host which usually doesn't happen, and after several hundred are created, performance can start to suffer.

I think creating zones based on a var is probably reasonable because they're not specifically tied to a gamer, and they can be easily procedurally purged via scripts.

Lord Leo

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »
It's not the number of zones per se, the game can handle 200-500 zones reasonably ok. The problem I have is with creating zones specifically tied to gamers, gamers that might join the game a few times then never return, and these gamer tied zones just start accumulating and never get purged unless done manually by the host which usually doesn't happen, and after several hundred are created, performance can start to suffer.

I think creating zones based on a var is probably reasonable because they're not specifically tied to a gamer, and they can be easily procedurally purged via scripts.
I was creating plots with the swing of a wand but I had to rename them every time I made one and it became a hassle, and yes i see your reason with the gamer one, but i'd really like to see this added as once again making plots and such would be made a lot easier.