Author Topic:  q about # of chooseable textures  (Read 1367 times)

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site 2 years on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
q about # of chooseable textures
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »
this is a q ive had for a while

why is there a limit on choseable textures for like stairs,ramps,half blocks     ect
is there a reason why and is it possible to increase this?
i know that the limit on photoes choseable per wold is gna be increased

wouldnt that also be doabe w the choseable textures or no

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: q about # of chooseable textures
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:37:14 AM »
This has been brought up before, And No. I don't think that'll ever hapen on the xbox version. It's best to just work with what you have.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site 2 years on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53:09 AM »
This has been brought up before, And No. I don't think that'll ever hapen on the xbox version. It's best to just work with what you have.
no you dont think?.......so this is based off a guess
do you have a link to where they said this recent?do you have anything to back up your answer??

im asking of the reason why and/or the technical reasons on why
not an yes or no answer based off a guess or from what a general member said/posted 1-2 years ago

if you have no way of backing up your answer with actual facts then please dont post a yes/no answer;if you have nothing to back it up with or have no idea of why
for it creates confusion and false info and confusion for others

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:57 AM »
chill out ugh. welcome to the world of forums. people will post whether they know the answer or not, if they're 1% sure or 100% sure, with no detail or with full detail. it's how forums work. get used to it.

.ok

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:06:34 AM »
chill out ugh. welcome to the world of forums. people will post whether they know the answer or not, if they're 1% sure or 100% sure, with no detail or with full detail. it's how forums work. get used to it.
im sorry about that
i didnt mean to go off on him like that
i realize i was a little harsh on him....so im sorry
@dryymm:im sorry about that.i guess the only reason i was anoyed by that was bcs i was hoping for a somewhat technical reason behind that or how that program/coding worked
so im sorry

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:24 AM »
Every block in the map has 8 bits of data available to it called auxiliary data.

Bits 1 - 3 are used for orientation and state.

Bit 4 is used to store whether or not the block is the originally generated block or whether it has been changed since generation (by a player or something else).

Bits 5 - 8 are used to store the selected texture id's (value range = 0-15 = 16 possible textures).

Not all blocks need all of Bits 1 - 3. Some only need Bits 1 and 2, some don't need any.

For the blocks that don't need all Bits 1 - 3, I can use the unused bits to add more texture selections. But this requires a non trivial rework of the texture selection mechanism, so it's not something I can do easily or quickly.

As a side note, the [aux] parameter you see in some script commands is used to define this auxiliary data value for the command.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:12:21 AM by Craig »

.ok

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:12:34 AM »
Every block in the map has 8 bits of data available to it called auxiliary data.

Bits 1 - 3 are used for orientation and state.

Bit 4 is used to store whether or not the block is the originally generated block or whether it has been changed since generation (by a player or something else).

Bits 5 - 8 are used to store the selected texture id's (value range = 0-15 = 16 possible textures).

Not all blocks need all of Bits 1 - 3. Some only need Bits 1 and 2, some don't need any.

For the blocks that don't need all Bits 1 - 3, I can use the unused bits to add more texture selections. But this requires a non trivial rework of the texture selection mechanism, so it's not something I can do easily or quickly.
whats the difference between that and pictures
because ik the number on that is gna be increased by alot
how is that 8 bit diff from the block bit and wouldnt that be doable for the blocks in the future?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:20 AM »
The paintings will be using a different mechanism to achieve more selections. The new mechanism the paintings will be using will require more storage space, both in RAM and map file size, and the texture (or photo) lookup will be slower, which means chunks with a lot of paintings in them will refresh slower.

I will need to see how much more storage this new mechanism will need and and how much of a performance hit it will cause before I can decide to use it for other blocks.

It might even be to expensive for just paintings, I'll just have to wait and see when it's implemented. If it is too expensive, I won't be able to expand the # of paintings. I'm hoping it won't be too expensive. And if it is not too expensive for paintings, it might still be too expensive to use it for all the other blocks that can have alternative textures, or it may not be too expensive. I'll only know the answer to these questions once it's implemented and I can profile it.

If the profiling shows it's not too expensive to use for the other blocks, then the other blocks will also be able to take advantage of it and they will have at least 255 texture slots each.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:25:55 AM by Craig »

.ok

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:27:06 AM »
The paintings will be using a different mechanism to achieve more selections. The new mechanism the paintings will be using will require more storage space, both in RAM and map file size, and the texture (or photo) lookup will be slower, which means chunks with a lot of paintings in them will refresh slower.

I will need to see how much more storage this new mechanism will need and and how much of a performance hit it will cause before I can decide to use it for other blocks.

It might even been to expensive for just paintings, I'll just have to wait and see when it's implemented. If it is too expensive, I won't be able to expand the # of paintings. I'm hoping it won't be too expensive. And if it is not too expensive for paintings, it might still be too expensive to use it for all the other blocks that can have alternative textures, or it may not be too expensive. I'll only know the answer to these questions once it's implemented and I can profile it.

If the profiling shows it's not too expensive to use for the other blocks, then the other blocks will also be able to take advantage of it and they will have at least 255 texture slots each.
ah ok.

what if it uses up little to no ram or cost
what would u do then :P

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:58:40 AM »
Woah, isn't there only about 200 blocks in the game already?
-Alionz

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »
Then I guess you could use them all ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:02:48 AM by Craig »

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »
if you have no way of backing up your answer with actual facts then please dont post a yes/no answer;if you have nothing to back it up with or have no idea of why
for it creates confusion and false info and confusion for others
1: I would have given a reference link to one of the times this has been brought, But my pc isn't working so i have to do this on xbox.

2: I'm probably going to stop quoting what i've heard Testers and Devs say, And stick to what i know about the game from my personal experience. Because me quoting testers has turned out to be wrong.

But you have your answer now.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym