Author Topic:  Could someone make a dummies guide for implementing customer textures as a mod?  (Read 303 times)

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
Would someone who knows what they're doing kindly make a guide on adding your own block textures in total miner to override the current ones?

I toyed around with it myself, and got completely lost. I also tried Craig's modding API information post, and I am not sure where I went wrong.

If I add the exact files he adds there as so:

File name: "BlockTextures.XML"

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<ArrayOfItemXML xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
-<ItemXML>
<ItemID>Grass</ItemID>
</ItemXML>
-<ItemXML>
<ItemID>Retro</ItemID>
</ItemXML>
</ArrayOfItemXML>

i assume that from that code, the 2 blocks that should change are GRASS and RETRO.

I also made a PNG that is 16 tall by 32 wide, with 2 block textures side by side in Gimp, nothing loads in total miner, but I am also not given any error message.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I would assume that part of it is that I have 2 textures in the PNG, but i compared that with a few other Mods and the PNG is set up almost the same way.

Once I figure out how to get custom block textures, I can implement a few texture packs pretty fast.

Maybe it would help if someone outlined the process from start to end, as I am finding out how much I do not know about modding.

Thanks

Marked as best answer by crazytater94 on January 30, 2018, 07:03:51 PM

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
BlockTextures.xml must be renamed to BlockTextures16.xml

If it still has issues;
Is the image file named "tp_16.png"?
Are you using a non-HD texture pack?
-Alionz

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
My custom block mod can serve as a good example for adding custom textures. Just download that and look at all the files

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I now have a follow up question, as I am making great progress, but hit another wall.

When adding the blocktextures16.xml file, how to we input blocks with extra textures.

example:
Grass top
Grass side
Workbench (And it's all different sides)
etc...

I tried a few variations, and I think i'm missing what the name is supposed to be.

Also, same thing for paintings. i added the texture, and it changes the shop's icon for it, but when placed, it displays the default castle image again. how would we go about changing the default picture?

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Craig messaged me and said he has yet to implement them as block Id's for the modding.