Author Topic:  Clocks and Compass  (Read 117 times)

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • This Hotel Sucks
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
Clocks and Compass
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
I'm making an adventure story based map. I believe this would make the game better for the genre of maps. I'm not just trying to cater to my own map ;)

Clocks: - We already have isTime and is Clock scripts in the game, but essentially the player has to guess what time it is using the sun. If you're inside the player has no way of telling what time it is, unless the host tells them the specific time or uses scripts to update every so often. It'd be useful to give the player something. We can script a door to only open at a certain time of day, but the player doesn't know specific times. Unless everything is done in either the day or night, its difficult.
I.E. "The door only opens when the moon is directly overhead" would correlate to midnight yes? But if they're inside they don't know when that it.

Compass: - I would prefer to give the player an item that can given and taken away as opposed to using the compass. I'm assuming the compass it apart of the adventure permission, and I would like players to only have the compass at a specific point in the story line.

Opinions?
Miner Of The Month - April 2014
My Youtube Channel

legohead2000

• Drowning in spaaaaaaace!
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Legohead2000
  • Steam: Dawnbreaker508
Re: Clocks and Compass
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »
I like the idea, it provides something that can be produced to aid survival players, and can also be useful to those who don't want to waste away coding every single thing.
Though I'm sure if the compass is added in game as an item, I bet you can to something like add a chest where they can grab one, or make some code magic and have it appear in their inventory at a certain point.
Is this the little awesome thing that people use to put lifelong quotes under their comments?