Author Topic:  Zone Script Naming  (Read 138 times)

MEDUSA

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
Zone Script Naming
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »
With the zone script we are limited to one zone being created per line of code.
For example, if I wrote;

Code: [Select]
Zone [Player Zones\Player Zone [VARIABLE/History:]] [prel:8,10,8] [prel:-8,-10,-8] [Builder=Player]

The zone would be created litterally under the name "Player Zones\Player Zone [VARIABLE/History:]"

The idea here is to make it possible for player A to activate this script to make a zone, then have player B come along and activate the script themselves to create their own zone.
However, as we cannot use [history:] or [variables] within the name of the zone, it will instead edit Player A's zone when Player B activates the script.

I hope I explained this in enough detail to be understood clearly...

Cheers!

I had to break up with Medusa. I just got sick of buying mice for her hair.
I should have ended it sooner, but you try looking into those eyes.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Zone Script Naming
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
You can sorta do this with temporary zones, But I know that is not the idea.

PWRBTTN and I have tried convincing Craig to add this so many times. He does not like the idea of adding this because too many zones can have hidden performance implications. Or at least, I think that is what he said.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:15:16 PM »
Players are transient, Zones are not.

MEDUSA

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 06:40:15 PM »
Players are transient, Zones are not.
That's what world administrators are for, ultimately a zone being there permanently or not is down to the host.
The only thing this is doing is forcing an administrator to manually create a zone and assign a player to it when this can already be automated, for an automated world this is forces someone to always be ready to create a zone in certain cases.
I have plans to host my world via a server and completely automate it (advanced security features in place and such), with me only looking over it daily, rather than 24/7 to have it functioning properly.

Another argument for this would be automatically assigned player zones in adventure, hunger games and base wars maps, where the map is supposed to be reset for every play through. - In this scenario your argument about players being transient is not valid as the world is also transient.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
is down to the host.
Yes but not all hosts are aware of the consequences of hundreds or even thousands of active zones (used or not). They'll just blame the game for bad performance. I'm reluctant to add anything that requires manual clean up, especially if there are performance ramifications, because from what I've seen in the past, that clean up is usually not done.

There is a temp zone option, I'll check if dynamic names for those would be reasonable. That would hopefully help.

MEDUSA

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:39:36 PM »
is down to the host.
Yes but not all hosts are aware of the consequences of hundreds or even thousands of active zones (used or not). They'll just blame the game for bad performance.
That is a fair point really.
Perhaps we could have this option for temp zones only as suggested above. Would you consider the option for an admin to be able to later convert the temp zone into a permanent zone?