Author Topic:  Turn Based PvE System  (Read 2174 times)

#

• I don't do much here.
  • Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: HellomeZodoz
Turn Based PvE System
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
Hey guys, thought I'd show you guys something I made the other day. I wanted something new for a map I'm making so I decided to make an "alternative" PvE system that's turn-based. If you ever played any JRPG's like Final Fantasy, this is kind of a dumb-downed version of that. I scripted a few moves, a mana/health system, the ability to unlock/change moves, unlockable damage modifiers, and a relatively simple AI to fight. Here's a bad quality video to show you what I mean (Caution: Bad Video Quality Ahead!)

Spoiler for Hidden Content:

As it was just a test, the 'animations' arn't great and the pacing's a bit slow, but I can fix that when I make the actual system. There are a few things I forgot to show in the video like how you can't use a move if you have insufficient mana and the poison mist move. Anyway, hope you guys like my take on a different PvE system. Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

#FFXV2k16

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • This Hotel Sucks
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MoiraIsEasyPOTG
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: OffenderMcGee
Re: Turn Based PvE System
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
Zodoz you have some badass scripts xD. I especially love your chess board one, that's my favorite.
Miner Of The Month - April 2014

Pringle

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: pringle2009
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
Really cool, do you think this could be done mass scale where a player runs around a map and every time he runs into an npc monster, he enters this combat against?
https://m.

#

• I don't do much here.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »
Really cool, do you think this could be done mass scale where a player runs around a map and every time he runs into an npc monster, he enters this combat against?

Yeah, that's what I eventually plan to do for my map. Sadly though, HUD bars can't be seen in CCTV, so for now it would have to be in 1st person perspective.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:02:25 AM »
Some cool stuff you're doing here script-wise. I'd love to see this done on a large scale for a world, with boss fights, elaborate animations, etc.

Nice work, man.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 5 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:46:36 AM »
Just when I start to think I'm rapidly gaining scripting ability to say that I know a lot about scripts, you pull this out. Way to go, I am a huge FF fan, particularly numbers 9 and 10.

Do you think that this system would be customizable to the point that if you were to share it out publicly, players could easily apply this to their world? Or does it involve defined coordinates on tons of lines that make it unusable if moved.(although, if replace texted with the new cords, it would be quick)

As a follow up question, is this something you pride yourself with as your "baby", or would you consider sharing out a script of this caliber?

#

• I don't do much here.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
Do you think that this system would be customizable to the point that if you were to share it out publicly, players could easily apply this to their world? Or does it involve defined coordinates on tons of lines that make it unusable if moved.(although, if replace texted with the new cords, it would be quick)

The system I have right now calls for absolute cords, but that can be changed pretty easily. As for applying this system for other people's worlds, I couldn't imagine it to be too hard to make templates. Once I clean up all my scripts up a bit, it should just be a Fill In The Blank situation on stuff like Damage, Mana cost, and dmg/miss chances.

As a follow up question, is this something you pride yourself with as your "baby", or would you consider sharing out a script of this caliber?

I'll more than likely share a version of it. Since I don't really makes maps, chances are someone else will use it more than me  :P.

Empire

• Hey Guys, I'm BT Empire.
    • View Profile
    • EmpireBuilds - My youtube channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: BT Empire
  • Steam: BT_Empire
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »
well this looks awesome
cant wait to see this when its completed  8)

#

• I don't do much here.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
well this looks awesome
cant wait to see this when its completed  8)

Thanks. And if anyone has any features they think I should add, let me know. I haven't actually played Final Fantasy, or any JRPG for that matter, so I'm kind of making this blind.

KingJamie01

• ay.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: KingJamie01
  • PSN: KingJamie01
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »
Nice!

I was thinking of trying something like this.. except not turn based. It would be similar, just in real-time strategy.
In fact, I might do that right now.
Thanks for the motivation :3

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »
How does the A.I work from a technical standpoint?

Does it make actual decisions based on the current situation, Or is it more of a random number generator with some bias towards certain actions based on fixed situations?

e.g More likely to heal when health is low, But not more likely to pick a higher damaging attack when the enemy's health is low.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Brother Hood

• futrue army
  • Awards 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 07:33:50 PM »
this is very very cool nice work I wish I have time to do that as you did but anyway very nice.

#

• I don't do much here.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
How does the A.I work from a technical standpoint?

Does it make actual decisions based on the current situation, Or is it more of a random number generator with some bias towards certain actions based on fixed situations?

e.g More likely to heal when health is low, But not more likely to pick a higher damaging attack when the enemy's health is low.

It will heal when it's at 15 or less health and it won't heal when it doesn't get full benefit from it (E.g. When at 39 health out of 40). He chooses his attack more so on mana usage then how much health advantage he can get. The higher mana he has, the less of a chance he will use a FB or Heal (unless he's below 15 health) and in turn try to ramp up to get those really powerful attacks out there. The whole AI system is run through RNG's though so that way he can simulate human behavior to an extent. Basically, the AI runs it's moves based on his own stats instead of the players. Also, in case you may want to know this, the AI script also determines how much mana he will get, the win check, and the poison check.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:43:31 PM by Hashtag »

#

• I don't do much here.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
This sounds good, but I just wanted to know what pve is, is it anything like pvp? I have no idea, but I like the idea of it being turn-based.

Player vs Enemy. So kind of like when you fight zombies in Dig Deep.

Stoneart

• "There's always time to get your block's off"
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Discord link to my game (Coven)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: stoneart
  • PSN: Xx_Phoenix_Down_xX
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »
Nice start! I started building a turn based fight that's first person before the hud update we just had so it looks a little different. Very similar. Come check it out sometime. I'll try to do the same with yours. I was thinking of doing a Pokemon red remake with random tele zones in the grass places and having a fight set up like the way you did it on a future build. Maybe I'll wait til the ps4.