Author Topic:  -[How To]- RPG Worlds  (Read 3506 times)

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
-[How To]- RPG Worlds
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
This guide will discuss various aspects of the RPG Attribute. If you would like to make suggestions for things that you would like to see in this guide, feel free to leave a comment. If you have any pictures to donate, send me a pm with details about whose world the photographs are of.

Credits:
Tutorial 1 Credits: Jakben Imbel592
Tutorial 3 Credits: Swift Generation
Tutorial 4 Credits: UKvs
Tutorial 7 Credits: Ares Zyro

Included Tutorials:
*Questing
*Factions
*Terraforming and Terrain Types
*Allocating Permissions
*Fast Travel

*Questing
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
Quests are objective-based events, usually granted by NPCs, that a player includes in their world to give players something to do. There are two kinds of quests, Main and Side.

Main Quests:
Main quests have two main purposes. The first and foremost is to guide the player through the story that the host wants to tell. The second is to give the player a sense of progression.

Side Quests:
Side quests are simple instances in which a player must perform a task in order to receive a reward. Usually there is some form of risk involved (they have to travel to a dangerous location or fight some goblins). These are not required to finish the main quest.

Here are some examples of basic side quests:

Farm Declan by Craig: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=11307.0

Gathering Lost Relics by Conmaan: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=11336.0

*Factions/Clans
Factions, or clans, are groups of players on a world that can interact with other clans in unique ways. Usually this involves political treaties, declarations of war, or economic agreements. What a Faction can and can't do is determined solely by the host.

Necessary Components:
First and foremost, each clan on a world should have a base of operations. Typically, one base is marked as a "home base" (which cannot be destroyed or invaded by another clan) while many other smaller bases lack the safe zone that the larger home base does.

Secondly, there should be areas in which clans can contest objectives. Sometimes this involves more bases, or other times it might involve hunting grounds, or perhaps a mine, etc.

Ways in which clans can interact with each other other than through PvP is sometimes something that hosts wish to include in their worlds. In order to do this effectively, there should be neutral zones that allow players to trade, work together to fight bosses, etc. without the worry of PvP.

*Terra-forming and Terrain Types
This will be a brief guide on some of the basics of terraforming, as well as an overview of the 3 basic terrain types.

Rivers:

First, make a line of TNT on the surface of the ground. It should be curved.

Once you have successfully laid out the ENTIRE length of the path of the river that you would like to have, you may detonate the explosives.

After the TNT has detonated go along the outer edge of the river and make a ring of TNT blocks 3 blocks higher than the edge of the river below. Then detonate the TNT. This will successfully create a decent river outline.

After which the lowest layers of the river (the bottom one or two) can be replaced with a stone type. All layers above that can be replaced with sand. For extra detail, large rocks can be placed on the side of a river (so that they are partially in the water and partially on land) and some small rocks can be placed inside the river.

The 3 Terrain Types:
 1. Average
Average terrain is somewhat flat or hilly (sometimes with trees). It is easily maneuverable and perfect for combat.

2. Moderate
Moderate terrain is somewhat difficult to traverse, with somewhat steep slopes and a decent amount of barriers to make visibility and manueverability tough, but possible. Water can sometimes provide combat hazards (as it is difficult to fight in or around water).

3. Dangerous
Dangerous terrain has extremely steep slopes with lava, spikes, and sheer cliifs presenting deadly hazards. Dangerous terrain provides to be extremely difficult for combat scenarios.

*Allocating Permissions
This guide will explain which permissions you need for which RPG world types.

Which Permissions should I give?:

First we must determine what each permission does.
Adventure allows players to collect pickups, rate worlds, access chests, and access economized shops.
Edit allows players to mine, and build.
Fly allows players to... fly....
Map allows players to view the map.
Chat allows players to talk in game chat.

For large maps with multiple areas for the player to explore and travel, the map can be a useful tool for players to know where they are going.

For entirely exploration based RPGs fly can be useful for aiding player's travels across your world ALTHOUGH fast travel via scripts/obsidian can be similarly effective and does not require the allocation of unnecessary permissions.

For maps in which combat plays a role but building/mining doesnt, then players should be given adventure.

Edit should be given for maps in which a player is required to mine. Make sure to be liberal with no-edit zones, though.

*Fast Travel
This guide will go over several different ways in which fast-travel can be implemented onto your world.

The two main types of fast travel are through structures, and through objects.

Structure-Based Fast Travel:
The key way to use structure based fast travel is to make it easily identifiable as a fast travel station. This can be done in a number of ways. One of the easiest ways for this to be done in RPGs is to keep all fast travel structures the same or very similar in appearance. Another way that this can be achieved is by simply naming the location as a fast travel hub by means of a sign, NPC, or painting (me and tater have made a fast travel painting that can be given upon request).

Additionally, make sure to make it clear where the player must stand in order to be sent to a new location. Different colored blocks on the floor, an elevated platform, or some other indicator is essential for host-to-player communications.

Finally, stay true to your theme. Too often fast travel structures tend to be out of place in worlds. Hosts enjoy building a palace of gold as their fast travel station in the middle of a poverty-stricken medieval village.

Object-Based Fast Travel:
The key to object based fast travel lies in two things. The believability of the object (can it really transport you to another location?) and the scriptability (where will the script activation be hidden within the object?).

The believability of a fast-travel object simply lies in common sense, most of the time. If your fast travel object is a canoe, don't put it in a river that ends two blocks ahead of you. The same goes for animals, such as horses. Oftentimes it helps the believability to have a path laid out that the horse is assumed to be traveling on.

And then there comes the aesthetic. This is more based on the prowess of a builder, but the believability of an object lies in a player's ability to determine what that object is supposed to be instantly.

The scriptability aspect of object-based fast travel is a bit more situational. For this I will simply show examples (aka pictures) of how hidden script blocks can be achieved and implemented into a build in a way that does not compromise the believability.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:20:49 PM by Conmaan »

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: -[How To]- RPG Worlds
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
I know there isnt anything yet but I will be editing this soon enough!

mm2woodman

• Elite Member
  • yo, woodman here
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
People hardly
RPG's anymore.
All RPG's
are skill grinders.
But I would make an RPG.
ROTM of December 24th, 1988.mid
nice

SwiftGeneration

• Elite Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: SwiftGeneration
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
Make sure full detail is inserted in every category then when edited it will bring great advice to people!

PS. If you need I can take pictures, just send me a message unless u lready got someone
Old Member Of Team Craft
Old Member Of Builders Unit
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter = SabreSwiftYT
Youtube =
Skype = Swift Generation

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Make sure full detail is inserted in every category then when edited it will bring great advice to people!

PS. If you need I can take pictures, just send me a message unless u lready got someone

No I dont have someone.

I am going to be working for the next 5 days straight (irl) so when I do get on it will be sparse. But I will be working on this during those times.

If you want to you can take pictures of various RPG worlds (I would like no more than 2 pictures on this thread to be from the same world. You can, of course, submit more than 2 from the same world but I would like to have as much variety as possible).

Once you have taken the pictures send them to me via a personal message (not a comment). It would be nice if you could also label the worlds that the pictures were taken on so I can give credit to the mapmaker. I will take the pictures that I see the most helpful and add them to this tutorial.

This offer still stands for everyone who so wishes to be a photographer. Thats why I put this in the form of a comment and not as a pm.

As for detail I will be sure to contain as much as I can.

Enter The Void

• It is I, Macho Man
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: IEnter the void
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »
No I dont have someone.

I am going to be working for the next 5 days straight (irl) so when I do get on it will be sparse. But I will be working on this during those times.

If you want to you can take pictures of various RPG worlds (I would like no more than 2 pictures on this thread to be from the same world. You can, of course, submit more than 2 from the same world but I would like to have as much variety as possible).

Once you have taken the pictures send them to me via a personal message (not a comment). It would be nice if you could also label the worlds that the pictures were taken on so I can give credit to the mapmaker. I will take the pictures that I see the most helpful and add them to this tutorial.

This offer still stands for everyone who so wishes to be a photographer. Thats why I put this in the form of a comment and not as a pm.

As for detail I will be sure to contain as much as I can.

I offer to have my world as a world that can be used for reference!
Medieval, Fantasy, Horror map & Quest Builder. I build what I like then I'll build it once more!

Former owner of Demigods and golden knight. (Gamertag change)

Been on TM since multiplayer came out

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:41:59 AM »
Some minor organizational text added. Nothing big.

I second that, Jakben.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 03:44:15 PM »
Faction tutorial completed.
Gamesystem (new term) added to tutorial 0
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:01:57 PM by Conmaan »

Enter The Void

• It is I, Macho Man
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: IEnter the void
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
The way you organized this is fancy... I like it. Mind if I post here or pm you my submissions of what I think could go in some of the boxes from my knowledge?
Medieval, Fantasy, Horror map & Quest Builder. I build what I like then I'll build it once more!

Former owner of Demigods and golden knight. (Gamertag change)

Been on TM since multiplayer came out

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »
The way you organized this is fancy... I like it. Mind if I post here or pm you my submissions of what I think could go in some of the boxes from my knowledge?

Either way would work. I cannot guarantee that it will make it up on the OP but I might use your work as a refrence.

RXZ x REPLAYZz

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 06:17:15 AM »
You can take some more pics of Realm of War if you want Swifty, also it would be cool to add an Easter Egg category in your guide haha, could be a sub-guide in the random encounters section. Classes would also be a good thing to add!

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
You can take some more pics of Realm of War if you want Swifty, also it would be cool to add an Easter Egg category in your guide haha, could be a sub-guide in the random encounters section. Classes would also be a good thing to add!
Classes! I knew I was forgetting something! It will be a sub-category of balancing.

Also I wouldnt really know how to make a tutorial of Easter Eggs. They are kind of just random encounters except well hidden (as apposed to somewhat hidden).

Zombokiller400

• We are all lost in our own way
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Zombo Killer400
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »
What are you doing making a D&D map or are you just telling people how to make there own?  8)
The Verlor Ein- We are all Lost in a philosophical way, never to find our way back, never to understand the truth of the vast universe. We will never know if true evil and true good exists, battling for our very souls, waiting for your fear to win or for your light to shine. we will never know.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »
What are you doing making a D&D map or are you just telling people how to make there own?  8)
This guide will discuss various aspects of RPG worlds, and showcase different methods of approaching how to implement those aspects into your very own RPG world.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
Finished the Questing Tutorial!