Author Topic:  Allow momentum to be maintained when exiting fly mode  (Read 330 times)

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Allow momentum to be maintained when exiting fly mode
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
My suggestion is to allow momentum to be maintained when exiting fly mode.

Currently, when you exit fly mode via pressing the fly key (in my case, F), then you lose all forward and/or vertical momentum and simply begin falling downwards.

If you were to allow this to be maintained, then players would have the ability to switch between flying quickly and cycling to flying slowly without sacrificing several seconds of travel time.

Additionally, this would allow for some interesting "parkour" style challenges on worlds, where a player must launch themselves using the fly feature into a no fly zone, such that they land on a platform.

And on top of all that, it would make for some sweet cinematic shots.

Now, the disadvantages of this feature are as follows;

1. Players would have to "fly proof" their worlds to prevent from players who are in fly zones to launching to areas they are not supposed to be, in no fly zones.

2. The way that players accelerate under fly will have to be changed. Rather than just maintaining a set speed, utilizing "slow fly" will instead have to be set to either decelerate or accelerate to that specified speed depending on the current speed of the player. And fast fly will have to be set up the same way.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Allow momentum to be maintained when exiting fly mode
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
You know, I would just like there to be momentum period. Derfen will disagree with me, But I dislike the lack of momentum.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
  • Steam: Alienizd
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
I recall momentum being maintained if a non-admin player flys through a No-Fly zone. Momentum is also retained if the player is holding down the jump or crouch input when disabling fly (until they hit a surface or do not have enough momentum to continue within the direction).
-Alionz

Rollins

• “The things you used to own, now they own you.”
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ThatAnimeKid
  • Other: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:46:24 AM »
Exactly, I always hate when I'm flying around my map, and I can't actually throw myself to the place where I want to go when im done flying. On what Gary said about maps, maybe this can create surfing/better parkour (CSGO reference) maps, and the host could zone it so there are areas the are allowed and are not.
"You know how they say you only hurt the ones you love? Well, it works both ways" -Fight Club

He's trying to P6 ban u bro! That's 5 levels above a P1 ban! You're done -Gary March 24, 2017