Author Topic: [Components] Monetizing Component Packs  (Read 651 times)

TOT231

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TOT231
[Components] Monetizing Component Packs
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Greetings.
Thank you for allowing me into your forum.
I realize that we share our creations in Total Miner with other users.
I have done so many times through Xbox Live. (TOT231, catch me on xbox live and I can show you some of my components)

But I have a question, many have said that my components could have monetary value (cost of an app for example)
And it sortta irks me when another user says my creation is theirs.
So to quote Andrew Ryan, "Is a Man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

Any thoughts or feed back on this?
Thanks in advance

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
Re: Monetizing Component Packs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »
Its one of those things that is completely up to you.

I don't feel good asking for money for my work, even tattoos that I do, which is why I give away my scripts and components.

If you can make money with your in game creations, go for it, but a lot of people would rather find someone else, rather than pay you for it. No matter how good it may be.

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • ::)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
So to quote Andrew Ryan, "Is a Man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

Well in that case does Craig(Creator) get part of that money since you earned it from his game?

Also this reminds me when someone tried to allow people to buy ranks through paypal, against XBOX TOS so i assume this is to.

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Legendary Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »
Idk man, if you share components, you should have the mind set knowing that someone is gonna try pass them off as their own. Haven't had that problem myself as far as I can recall, but I do enjoy the thought that someone thinks my stuff is good enough to say its theirs.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
You'd have no buyers.

You can put credit in your script with a comment, or in the component pack name. It's still possible for them to delete it but chances are they won't even bother reading the script (unless it's in the name.)

Like I said, no one would buy that unless they're stupid. Work gets used, and abused - it'll happen one way or another. Just know for yourself that you are the creator of it.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »
Remember when there were going to be paid mods for Skyrim on steam? Remember how well that worked out?

TOT231

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TOT231
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, opinions.
Guess I'll just have to stick with my earnings from organized crime.

Oh, and as far as Craig's "cut", he got his when we paid for the game.
That's sort of like saying the canvas manufacturer gets a percentage of a priceless piece of art made on their canvas that the artist bought at the store.

Thanks again. Time to be an adult and go play with blocks.

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, opinions.
Guess I'll just have to stick with my earnings from organized crime.

Oh, and as far as Craig's "cut", he got his when we paid for the game.
That's sort of like saying the canvas manufacturer gets a percentage of a priceless piece of art made on their canvas that the artist bought at the store.

Thanks again. Time to be an adult and go play with blocks.

Well considering a piece of art would be a 1 time thing and you can't reuse the canvas persa then yeah that's true but since your using Total Miner more than once.

Also it is against the TOS as stated here in section 1.9 of the Xbox Service Agreement " Assign, resell, or redistribute any part of the Services or access to the Services, including the sale or purchase of an account;"

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Legendary Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:58 AM »
Well considering a piece of art would be a 1 time thing and you can't reuse the canvas persa then yeah that's true but since your using Total Miner more than once.

You can reuse canvases though.

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »
Well considering a piece of art would be a 1-time thing and you can't reuse the canvas persa then yeah that's true but since your using Total Miner more than once.

You can reuse canvases, though.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 02:42:02 AM »
Its your creations, do with them what you will.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:32:02 AM »
http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/07/copyrighting-player-generated-content-in-video-games/
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179493/Usergenerated_content_When_game_players_become_developers.php
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=72dfa1bc-e4d7-4d76-ad3e-f136efc5175c

And the Minecraft EULA: https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula
Under the Content section, they appear to agree player created content is owned by the player.

Because Total Miner, like Roblox is very much dependent on player generated content, I encourage people to create high quality content, take ownership of it, and do what you like with that content/ownership. But at this time, we have no way to officially support your content in terms of a hosted official market place, legal support etc.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
I suppose when PC comes out, and you can upload game saves and files, then players could monetize their stuff from a website, but if 1 person gets it, they could spread out that file.

UNLESS Craig added a Code redeem feature to sharing, where you add a password to download a file, and it can only be redeemed X amount of times, which can be set by the owner, and the whole password option is toggleable.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
If people are as good as they say, the circulation of components shouldn't be a problem because the person would just be able to make something new at around the time that no one is willing to pay for it anymore.

I prefer people sharing components for free via file sharing websites that have built in donation systems. But, I'm a freeloader so maybe it's just me :)

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ