Author Topic: [Game] [How To]particle emitters-creating items  (Read 476 times)

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[Game] [How To]particle emitters-creating items
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »
How to create items with particle emitters

Here is my guide on how to create your own items using particle emitters.A lot of people have always wondered how to use emitters in creating items, so I decided to make a small guide on the ways that I make things in Total Miner, allthough it'll still take some effort,depending on how much detail you want in your item/s.
*Note, these are all personal preferences, where the things that I do may differ from other people and what they prefer, so keep that in mind, allthough i seem to find that my settings seem to get the job done, and tbh, it was sort of tricky at first when I first began using emitters to create things, but after a little bit, I eventually got the hang of it and it got easier to the point where i was able to create complex things fairly quickly.ETTP was the 1st person I saw who made solid items originally. Then it was JD who made some stuff on the forums and then Tate with his Pokemon particles to which i thought was really cool, but i figured that if he was able to do them that well, then why couldn't I do it too? I started off with 1 or 2 things on my zombies map,but the more things i added,the more people liked what i was doing and eventually i started doing other things and now they're really simple to work with IMO,but others seem to struggle with them,so hopefully with this guide,maybe i could help teach some of you guys a new skill or something to try out.

In this guide,I'll be going over specifically how to create items,such as these:

and going through each setting explaining the best settings to use for them,to where if you follow this guide,then with a little practice,you'll be able to create things just like these and pretty much anything else you can think of maybe one day we'll be blessed with different shapes or pitch & yaw  : D

Duration/Emit Frequency
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Now this is probably the most important setting you need to have right,being it helps to keep the particle solid for the longest time,and keeps each emitter emitting a max of 1 particle out of the 500 you have available most of the time. I've seen other people have theirs at a duration of 1 second and then their emit frequency at 0.9,or some people use a duration of 8 and then sometimes a emit frequency of 7.8 or 7.9,but I've always found those to flicker a lot more and use more particles than needed,to where I've found my setting to work better overall

*Note: if you wish to add effects such as smoke, sparks, glowing,  etc
then feel free to change these or any other settings to fit what you're looking for

Duration/Emit Position Offset

Emit offset defines the distance that the particle is emitted from the source block,where anything under 1 block size for the x,y,or z, will be still in the block,so to fix this,if say you have a particle size of 1,1,1,then set the particle at least 1 block length from the source block.For example:

• If you want the particle to go above the emitter,then set the Y on start size above 1
  • if you want the particle to emit away from the emitter in any way,then change the x,or z on start size past 1,depending which way you're facing

Something to note,would be that currently, we cannot go past 50 in block length on Start size or Emit Position offset/variance,so keep that in mind

If you change anything on the size,then take that number and divide that by 2,then add or subtract that to the offset.for example:

if you have a offset of 1.2,3,2.5
and a size of
and if you reduce the size by 0.20,then if you wish to keep the particle at the same spot,then change the offset to 3.1,being when you decreased it,the particle moved down,where when you add its Y size by half of the changed amount,it will remain in the same spot with the new setting

Emit position variance,Velocity,Velocity variance,gravity,Rotation Speed

These do not matter when making solid items and shouldn't be messed with unless you want to add a effect to them,otherwise don't worry about these settings

Start/End Size

For Start size,this controls the size of your particle,where you can set it anywhere between 0.0001,all the way up to 50 block lengths.Currently 50 is the limit on console,but on PC may be different,although i couldn't say for sure so don't quote me on that

For end size, you have to have a number set in order for the particle to appear. If your particle isn't showing up, check to see if you have a number on the end size other than 0.The end size can be set anywhere between 50, and -50, like so

If you want a solid item,then leave the end size at 1,being the item is going to be stationary

Wind affection

Ignore this setting

Start/End color

This defines the entire color spectrum where different combinations put out a different color depending on the setting you have
R is for red
G is for green
B is for blue
A is for alpha,where alpha defines the transparency of the color.If you have A set as 1,then the block will become transparent,but note that the lower the transparency,the brighter your colors become,unless you have them set between 1-30.if you're looking to have a solid color,then always set the Alpha value at 255 and adjust the rgb as necessary
If you want a solid color,then set the start color and end color to the same value.0 would be black,so the lower the value,the darker your particle will become,where the higher you have the value set at,the brighter that value or color will become.If your particle isn't showing up,then check to see if you have a number set on the alpha value,because if you don't have anything set,then  your particle will not appear

Proximity value
proximity value is an important feature for those who use a lot of particles and wish to conserve particle useage on their maps.Particles themselves do not cause lag for the game unless you have a emit frequency set at like 0.001 and/or the duration set at something high+ a bunch of them in a small area,then that would cause frames to drop.Otherwise if you want to use a lot of particles on your map,and/or want to help cut down on particle useage,being currently we only have a max of 500 particles(4000 in total,but the number you want to pay attention to is 500 for the most part)
on PC we'll get an increase to around the 1000's,but they'll depend on your settings on your PC.9come time around when TM goes 64Bit,the limit would be in the 10k+ range,possibly 100k+,but until then,if you plan on using quite a few particles,then your best bet is to use a proximity on the particle emitters

The proximity setting goes up to 1000,so adjust accordingly to the type of particle you have and whether or not its inside a building or in a larger area,but also take to consideration distance from the players and how far away they would be before the particle isn't visible anymore,and also,for each emitter you have,if you want to use a proximity on it,then you'll have to set it on each block individually

requires power

if you wish to make the emitter powered by a power source or script, then this is also a good way to conserve power, but also a neat way to use emitters in scripts, being you can control the power through
SetPower [x,y,z] [on|off]
this could be used to create or add effects.the possibilities are endless

Texture
Pretty self explanatory. This allows you to change the texture of the emitter, but one helpful thing with this if the emitters are visible to players or in a build, the particle emitter does support the invisible barrier option,so this is a good workaround if you're having problems keeping your particles hidden from view

copy to script clipboard

this is a good option for a few reasons.the biggest things you can do with this is fit a particle emitter's settings onto a script,especially if you use a large amount of emitters for a single item.if you wish,you can add all of them onto a single script,narrowing it down to just 1 block instead of a tower of  5 10-50.The only con though to this is that you have to set the x,y,z each time you add in another line

• if you want the particle to spawn it at a certain coordinate,then set the x,y,z accordingly and you can pretty much have the script activate from anywhere and not have the need for particle emitters where they spawn at,however i haven't messed around with this as much yet,so i couldn't tell you if i recommend this or not
  • if you just want the particle to spawn in like how it would with a regular emitter,but from the source script block,then change the XYZ to rel:x,y,z and change it accordingly,like this

• *Note that to add them in rel to the script block, change it according to where the emitter block would be, for example:

*if you have a tower of particle emitters, the top rel: XYZ would be Rel:0,0,0.
     *if you want to add a block below the top one, then change the XYZ to
            *Rel:0,-1,0
      *if you have one to the left or right of the center emitter/beginning block,then change the x or z accordingly
  • particles work with all of the relative coordinates,so it can work on a player and each of the Rel's. If you want a particle to follow a player,then i believe that you change the XYZ to pRel:0,1,0.This is popular among people that like to make particle trails for players,but be cautious of this,because particle trails will eat up a lot of the particles used if you have it respawning at a fast rate
  • for any script,if you want the particle to respawn,then throw in a loop,and add the duration in milliseconds
         *if you're going by this guide and want to make items,then set the loop at 3000,being that your duration for the particle emitter would've been at 3 seconds,and each second equals 1000 in milliseconds.if your duration is 0.10,then make the loop at Loop [100].Adjust to what you're trying to accomplish

Particle type/save as custom template
this isn't really that important if you plan on making items,but if you make any single effects,or if you have a certain color you like,then this would be something useful to begin off with,allthough later on,you wouldn't need to worry about these,but personally i like selecting a pre saved particle with the correct settings so that way I don't have to reset everything over

Resources/other useful information
  • here's a few useful things for helping with color
    Eye Dropper google chrome add-on

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/eye-dropper/hmdcmlfkchdmnmnmheododdhjedfccka?hl=en
    this is good for getting a quick r,g,b setting off of a image.gyazo also works well with this too
  • Resources are a really good way of inspiration and just a source to go by.There's infinite amount of things your could use, but the biggest help would be from in-game and pictures, but even with all of the resources you could have, it's still up to you to be able to put everything together,  although, after a little bit of practice, you could finish items fairly quickly
  • practice
    the only way you'll get better is if you practice.It might take a while to get familiar with the settings, but once you figure it out, it becomes pretty easy

Conclusion
    let me know if there's anything you're confused on and I'll try to clarify it as best to my knowledge>I'm sure I've covered everything, but if there's anything that I left out then let me know and I'll either fix the OP or post accordingly

Ill edit the op with any new tips, or if we get any new features that will aid in creating items.If this guide helped you any bit, then feel free to leave feedback.It'd be cool to see what some of you guys create or come up with
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:05:20 AM by .ok »

Jim 💎

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • 💎💎💎💎💎💎💎
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
Re: [How To]particle emitters-creating items
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »
Thanks for making this! It helps people who suck at making anything with particles (myself). This will get me started on trying to create a few simple things.

Cheers!  :3

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Duration/Emit Frequency
and keeps each emitter emitting a max of 1 particle out of the 500 you have available most of the time...or some people use a duration of 8 and then sometimes a emit frequency of 7.8 or 7.9,but I've always found those to flicker a lot more and use more particles than needed
For the sake of accuracy I'll just suggest an amendment. You have 4000 particles that you can use for your items, not 500. You can emit 500 new particles every second, but each particle exists for 8 seconds, so there are still 4000 particles on the screen or in existence at any one time. Each particle is in existance for exactly 8 seconds regardless of the duration setting. e.g. if you set duration to 3, the particle still exists for 8 seconds, but will only be visible for 3. So the higher the duration setting, the more efficient the use of particles. e.g. using a duration of 3 and an emit frequency of 0.999 will use roughly 8 times more particles than a duration of 8 and emit frequency of 7.9, or in other words, using an emit frequency of 7.9 is roughly 8 times more efficient than an emit frequency of 0.999, or in other words, using an emit frequency of 7.9 instead of 0.999 will allow you to draw roughly 8 times more items at once.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
As a note, If you set the Y velocity, Gravity, And duration to the same value, The particle's end position will be the same as its start position. It's useful for things like pneumatic pistons.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 03:41:53 PM »
Awesome guide, I'll definitely take a look at particles when I get the time :)

Thanks Nazty!
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts 2 years on site+300 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
As a note, If you set the Y velocity, Gravity, And duration to the same value, The particle's end position will be the same as its start position. It's useful for things like pneumatic pistons.
Thank you for saying this! I've always  been trying to find out how to do just that, thank you so much!

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 04:15:53 AM »
Duration/Emit Frequency
and keeps each emitter emitting a max of 1 particle out of the 500 you have available most of the time...or some people use a duration of 8 and then sometimes a emit frequency of 7.8 or 7.9,but I've always found those to flicker a lot more and use more particles than needed
For the sake of accuracy I'll just suggest an amendment. You have 4000 particles that you can use for your items, not 500. You can emit 500 new particles every second, but each particle exists for 8 seconds, so there are still 4000 particles on the screen or in existence at any one time. Each particle is in existance for exactly 8 seconds regardless of the duration setting. e.g. if you set duration to 3, the particle still exists for 8 seconds, but will only be visible for 3. So the higher the duration setting, the more efficient the use of particles. e.g. using a duration of 3 and an emit frequency of 0.999 will use roughly 8 times more particles than a duration of 8 and emit frequency of 7.9, or in other words, using an emit frequency of 7.9 is roughly 8 times more efficient than an emit frequency of 0.999, or in other words, using an emit frequency of 7.9 instead of 0.999 will allow you to draw roughly 8 times more items at once.
Ok
ive been using the 8/7.9 setting like you suggested,but one of the reasons i didnt like it originally or what's happening now, is when the particles flicker, with your setting, they actually disappear for several seconds, compared to mine that i used previously where there was little to no flickering,and if they did dissapear, it would be alot shorter than say the 7.9 or 8 seconds, where particles flicker often

its also anoying messing with the color settings when trying to figure a color out being you have to wait the full 8 seconds for it to transition over lol

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:48:33 AM »
Does this flickering happen in single player with the world fully loaded? How often does it flicker? Like once a minute, once every 5 minutes, every few seconds?

.ok

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 05:20:34 AM »
Does this flickering happen in single player with the world fully loaded? How often does it flicker? Like once a minute, once every 5 minutes, every few seconds?
i can't say because the time between when they disappear is random, and i do everything on locale now, but I'd assume single player is a lot better/ experiences fewer problems than online
and when they do disappear, the particles disappear are random as well, where sometimes it'll only be a few that disappear,then the next time it happens most of them will disappear,and so on

Edit:im not a fan of your settings....the setting that i had originally had little to no flickering and now a lot of the particles disappear and stay gone for the short period.....doesn't look that good with things using alot of particles
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:02:21 AM by .ok »

zunr

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • Steam: Zunr
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
Thanks for this topic, very helpful!