Author Topic:  My Game made in 48 Hours for GM48 #21  (Read 196 times)

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • ::)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy
My Game made in 48 Hours for GM48 #21
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »
If you would like to play the game here is the link to the page with more about it and downlaod. http://www.gm48.net/game/?id=412 (Windows Only.)

Hello, 48 hours ago a competition started. GM48 #21 a quarterly game jam where users of the Game Maker Engine have to make a game and publish it out in 48 hours. Here is my experiences.

Night One... Theme Release
One of the most stressful times of the entire competition, this is where you find out what you have to work with. As the clock counted down and the 100s of people are getting ready, the clock hits 00:00:00 mean GM48 #21 has begun. Everyone frantically trying to find what theme is... well after 4 minutes nothing the website is dead twitter dead no theme said anywhere. Then 9 minutes in its said in the discord for Game Maker, the theme is one health. Everyone gets to work on ideas as do I all brainstorming ideas. I asked everyone I knew for ideas and didn't  get far. For nearly an hour ad a half I sat and drew random things to try and spark some inspiration. Then my friend comes over to get ready to do art and he had an idea! A multi-level runner platformer.  The idea was every round another element is added to the map the player runs through making it more hard every run. We planned for 50 levels meaning we had to create 50 things to kill you. Now that we had it all planned out we got to work. First was the player as he worked on the animations and such I programmed the movement, physics, and collision then after about 1 hour the player was done next was the tiles he worked on the multiple tile sets and I worked on the auto-tiling to make map making easier. Another hour passed and that was all done. Here we were 4 hours in with great progress. Then we start adding things that can kill the player. First was the dispenser. I programmed it in a way I could set any direction, shoot anything I wanted at any speed, set it to shoot if you're in a range.  This took about an hour to do but even though it took a bit of time it was gonna pay off from the flexibility we had with it. then over the next 3 hours, we added many other things likes saws, spikes, breakable pieces to the platform that you could fall into. Then we decided to call it quits and resume in the morning, I saved and we went to bed.

Day One & Night Two...
Woke up 11 am ready to get back to work sit down on my computer and go to open the file... The file is not there. I immediately start searching every folder I had anything relating to it, I check my trash bin everything it's not there. Checked GIT it's not there, everywhere it's not there. After 30 minutes of looking for the file, I let it set in that I lost almost 8 hours of coding. I tell my friend and we have to make a game plan, we still had all the art but we are now way behind. After another 30 mins, I tell him he can head home I'll just make a game on my own as he had things to do and couldn't stay the full time. So back to the drawing board. No idea no art, 1 day 6 hours left. Then an idea hit me, a wave based game. It was something fast but can be expanded to be fun and dynamic. Since it was a top-down style I had to make all new movement code. Next, I thought about wave design and if I want it to be random or hand made. I went with hand made. First, i wrote up some function to create levels in code then I wrote a few functions to load them in when the previous wave has passed or they killed them all. then I had to make the enemy. I went with a zombie as they move at a slow pace and a fast pace so they were perfect for me to use in waves with varying speed. After that, I started on the waves, all 25 of them. Took a while but I got 7 done and was happy how it was working. At round 5 I made a boss, scaled up the zombie and upped his health. It's hard but not impossible. Next, I start to see I'm gonna need better art then different color shapes. I set out to everywhere even here looking for an artist to join me then as I pop into the Game Maker discord chat I see someone type "Does anyone an artist", was the best thing that happened to me at the time. I PM him about the game show him a demo and waited for his reply. Few mins pass and he says "Sounds neat!". Everything is on track at this moment I can code he can do art. I send him a list of things then in the next 30 mins he starts showering me with animated sprites. Originally I said make the player a brain but he misread it and made a human and said "Here is Brian" we had a good laugh and I added the sprites in. Finally looking like a game. The rounds were feeling dull with just zombies so I added wood planks and snakes into the mix. The wood planks and snakes slowly were added to later levels so the player wasn't overwhelmed with things on the screen. Somehow time was flying next time I looked at the clock it was 4 am I had programmed for 15 hours. Happy with my work I saved backed up to GIT Hub and made sure it saved and went to sleep. I only wanted to sleep for 4 hours and be up at 8 so I set two alarms one for 7:30 am one for 8 am knowing I would skip the first one.

Day Two...Final Day...
The first alarm went off I skipped it, then the second alarm went off... I didn't skip it but I decided to just rest my eyes for a few extra minutes, well that turned into 3 hours and when I woke up I was refreshed, also 3 hours behind but refreshed. I sit down to open the project and get to work, I had to finish 13 waves to finish, make a start menu, win screen, death screen, fix bugs, make music and add it in, make sounds and add it in...Then submit the game. I had 7 hours to do this all. So started. I did a few levels here and there in between task. First, it was the menu, I went for a simple design where the player just hits one button and there off. Took a bit to settle on a  design but I went with just a bar across the middle with some lines added it in and it looked great. Next, I banged out a few more levels. Moved on to the death screen, went for a simple design like the main menu. I did this to save time and make it easier for the player.  Then I had to make some sounds and some music so I pulled out my tools and started making them took about 2 hours to add music and sound to the game. After that, I got up to wave 19 where I decided to make it only till wave 20. Happy at where I was at I made the win screen balanced out waves and put some bosses in every 5 levels. Tested fixed bugs and started work on the final level. I invested a decent amount of time planning it and then making it. 6 pm eastern time 1 hour left, I do a full playthrough to make sure you can win and everything is working. Proud with my work I started writing up my post for the game what it is about how to play etc. Hit submit and watched days of work become available for everyone to play.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:40:52 AM by TM Charles »

Jim 💎

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • 💎💎💎💎💎💎💎
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
Re: My Game made in 48 Hours for GM48 #21
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
Congratulations man! I couldn't do anything like this lol. Hope everything goes well from this point!

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld