Author Topic:   TM video tips/ideas  (Read 776 times)

Xian-mei

• Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: KrONic GLaDOS 2
TM video tips/ideas
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
The "Featured Video Contests" submissions are now active; it's time to see what awesome videos you miners can come up with  ^-^. I'm here to give some advice in producing Total Miner videos for those who need ideas or help.
1.Storyboard
Before you start going into director mode, it's best to sketch out your scenes or take some notes. With time and planning, your videos are more likely to come out smoothly during record sessions plus editing wont be such a chore. Basically it's best to plan ahead of time so you'll know exactly what you're going to do instead of jumping right in trying to come up with a skit.

2.Cinematography
While getting ready to record, scout around your map and see which shots look good before you capture your world. Here are some key things to keep in mind. If you're going for a cinematic route, disable your HUD. If you want to create the illusion of depth, use the Binoculars tool and adjust to your liking. AVOID obvious jerky transitions when looking around or panning your view to maintain smoothness to your footage; this is a little difficult to do if you don't have steady fingers

3.GO BIG OR GO HOME
Think about what kind of TM video you're directing. Since this is a contest, it's best to think outside of the box and decided what would grab the viewers attention. What kind of idea would likely gain you votes ? I'm not saying that you have to go to the extreme and produce an overthetop TM video, but just keep in mind that videos that are kinda flat or poorly directed lessens your chance of grabbing a viewers attention. Here's a tip, try something new; something that's out of your comfort zone. Be creative, don't be a potato, be the best salad you can be.

4.Music Direction
When in editing mode,decided what music fits best with your video theme. For example: My videos are based on Dead Island, so I use music that have a horror tribal, or retro vibe to them. Let's be honest, going through a creepy corridor while party dubstep music is blaring in the background don't go well together and makes the whole atmosphere out of place or irrelevant.

5.Collaboration
If you don't have a game capture card and you want to make a total miner video, ask some of our members on the forums and see if they're willing to collaborate with you. If you're having trouble doing some things like building  sets or trying to come up with things that requires more players, then like I said before, collaborate with your partners. Teamwork is the key to success for those who can't do it alone. When working with your peers, be clear about your ideas, opinions, and visions. Be commutative, ask abut their daily schedule so y'all will know when it's the the right time to record/direct a video together.

Here are just a few tips for you miners who are looking forward to entering the "Featured Video Contest". Remember, the most important thing is to have fun and be creative when making TM videos. Here's an example of my Video "Into the Storm" and Dauntless395's horror spin on Total Miner "The Amityville Horror" to get an insight.

Into The Storm by Xian-mei
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
The Amitiville Horror by Dauntless395
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

On a side note I was going to post this in the featured video contest topic, but I think it would of taken up so much space on the topic page "Spamming Bob haha".

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
Re: TM video tips/ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:27:24 PM »
Xian-mei adds some really good points to making great TM videos!
I figured I could chime in to add some of my own advice on how to take your videos to the next level, with some relatively-beginner points:

- Cross Dissolve Is Your Friend!
Cross Dissolve is a standard feature that is found in most video editing software. If it is not, that is a sign that you need to jump ship and get a new one.
Essentially, Cross Dissolve makes a fading transition between two scenes by blending the two shots together.
If you need an example, watch my Total Miner: The Amityville Horror at the following timestamps:

0:13
0:16
0:17
0:24
0:26
0:50
0:55
0:58

Cross Dissolve gives that extra boost to footage by making soft transitions between similar interests. For example, in scenes 0:13, 0:16, and 0:17, each Cross Dissolve was between establishing shots of the house, and then 0:55 and 0:58 dissolves made nice transitions between the Lutz family unpacking.

Im pretty sure any respectable video editing software has Cross Disssolve as a hotkey, so use it!

- Shoot More Footage Than You Need!
Think of a photographer who shoots hundreds of photos of a model for hours at a time to get that perfect cover photo shot. The artist doesn't get the perfect one on the first try.
And neither should you.

I honestly shot a good 15GB worth of footage for my Amityville Horror movie (in contrast to its ~250MB final compressed size). What I did, outside of filming actual people interacting in the film, is a ton of establishing shots.

- Footage of me flying around as the camera with the hud off, seeing if I could get really good day shots of the exterior and interior of the house.
- Same as above, except I did it again at night. Tried many, many angles of view, tumbled the camera, flew straight at the walls, etc.
- Walked around inside of the house with a torch, and basically strolled through the house as if I was the main character walking alone in the dark.

When filming with with real avatar actors, have them redo their acts multiple times. Even if the first or second one is "perfect", you may find when it comes time to edit that they actually went too fast, or your shot isnt long enough, etc.
For example, at 1:27 and 1:52 in my video, I had my brother redo that same jumping scene for a whole five minutes nonstop. Just to nail that perfect "surprised jumping back motion". As well as open and reopening doors, walking around, spinning in circles, etc.

When it comes time to edit, having way more footage will not only help you get that perfect shot, it will also help fill in some "blank" areas in the film. If you don't know what should go in that scene, put in an establishing shot.

Plan Out Which Scenes Contain Characters
To make my life simpler in creating a video, I always plan out actors in the following ways:

-Scenes (in chronological order) that have NO players
-Scenes that have ONE player
-Scenes that have TWO players
-Scenes that have THREE OR MORE players

This helps, because you can prioritize and cross of scenes that you need to shoot, and scenes that you can do yourself. If say, I needed to film a scene of the Amityville house, I can do that on my own time. If I need someone in another scene to be walking, then I'll plan to have everything ready when I need to film that person.
Have those props and sets built before the actor shows up to help. Makes things much easier.

And with this ordering, you can also cut corners too!
When I make a list like above, most of the time I can filter out ones that can be fullfilled with a real actor, and one with an NPC.
Say for example in 0:54-0:59, when the Lutz family is unpacking. Technically, that gets filed under "three or more", but really, the characters dont need to be moving around all that much. So instead of rallying three people to stand still, use NPCs!
In contrast, take 0:48, with two characters. I was able to cut corners by employing only one actor and one NPC. The real actor (Refugee) was turning as if he was talking, and the NPC girl was motionless. Simple. No hassle of getting two people.

Green Screen Effects
Use SkyColor [0,255,0,255] for a green screen effect. If you've got video editing software that can perform Keying, this is how you use it. If anyone wants me to elaborate on this, feel free to post. It's a bit of an advanced feature that required trial and error on my part, but I'm willing to share if interested.

I used a metric ton of green screening in my video. If you can master keying, you will absolutely take things to the next level.

We might as well use this thread as a Q&A session for video-making tips for Total Miner, so if you have any questions, post them below.
You make me smile!

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
I'm gonna move this to the guides section as it the best write up for video making tips I've seen on here and I don't want it to get lost in the TM general shuffle

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »
You could use light green blocks for a green screen affect as well. I use those for my green screening.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:22:43 AM »
I don't know how much difference it makes to the keying, But using a 0,255,0,255 particle would also make a great green screen because it has no texture.

I don't know if the texture messes anything up, But I would imagine it is easier to use a particle anyway. As long as it doesn't disappear during the shot.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym