Author Topic: [Scripts] Considering a new script syntax  (Read 6092 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
[Scripts] Re: Considering a new script syntax
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 02:58:04 AM »
Alright, I can live with that. Just as long as it actually does successfully transform our current scripts as you said it would.
The conversion would be done with the utmost care. I can't guarantee there will be no bugs on initial release, but we will do our best. One option may be to support both syntaxes on the initial release, and then phase out the old, but that also has it's complications.

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Considering a new script syntax
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:00:48 AM »
The conversion would be done with the utmost care. I can't guarantee there will be no bugs on initial release, but we will do our best. One option may be to support both syntaxes on the initial release, and then phase out the old, but that also has it's complications.
Well of course there's going to be bugs, I just hope that a major one doesn't slip past your eye and mess up 200 scripts in one world, but I have confidence that things will work smoothly.

Faint of Clubs

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Faintcub7332217
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:22:40 AM »

Ah i'm sorry i didnt read all the replies. Thanks alot craig! I support any decision you make, as you clearly know what's best for the game :)
That guy with dem scripts.

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »
Quick question, is this the "simplier" version of scripts compared to the classic scripts?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 06:03:09 AM »
Quick question, is this the "simplier" version of scripts compared to the classic scripts?
?

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 07:46:54 AM »
Is this still being considered? Because it would make things a lot easier to do a lot quicker.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 08:40:18 AM »
Is this still being considered? Because it would make things a lot easier to do a lot quicker.
Agreed. It's so dreadfully slow as it is, even with a keyboard and plenty of scripting experience. This would be so nice. Also, that good ol' in-game keypad idea that was thrown about before.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Faint of Clubs

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Faintcub7332217
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »
Agreed. It's so dreadfully slow as it is, even with a keyboard and plenty of scripting experience. This would be so nice. Also, that good ol' in-game keypad idea that was thrown about before.

Craig, the in game keypad would be compatible with the Xbox controller chatpad accessory right?

Also I bumped this to ask if you scrapped this idea craig?
That guy with dem scripts.

crusadorzach777

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »
Personally I love this idea.

I don't see what negatives would come of this, besides the afore mentioned old scripts possibly getting broken. Though, I dont have many maps on that I have spent months scripting in so I may be taking this lighter than others because of a slight bias.

The main reason I don't do much scripting though is because of the way the system is set up though to be honest. It's all very organized and it isn't very confusing, but it's hard and tedious. I oft find myself repeatedly looking back at the script guide to know where which parameters go where. With a system that could support any parameter anywhere I would be much happier for sure.

This idea has my stamp of aproval (If it is still being considered )

Hayden

• Elite Member
  • Hey babe
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: mister m0nk3y
  • Steam: Hayden
  • Other: 123456789
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »
I personally prefer the current state of Syntex, but possibly make it so we can do both?
Craig doesn't know me.

Roz

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Rozuveos
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »
Sounds like a good idea with positive outcomes if the script conversion works smoothly. With the idea of simplicity for users in mind might I make a suggestion, add a color system to the new syntax that will distinguish the command functions from variables like x,y,z and an active syntax error check that can highlight incorrect lines red while your scripting.
Example: rain /p=x,y,z /r=value /d=value /i=value /c=r,g,b/
Like was stated earlier "I read those square brackets like gypsies read tea leaves..", this could help once we get used to it.
Have fun, Die Well.

Spark

• I'm Italian and I love scripting
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ShoppingSpark3
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 10:23:45 AM »
Sounds like a good idea with positive outcomes if the script conversion works smoothly. With the idea of simplicity for users in mind might I make a suggestion, add a color system to the new syntax that will distinguish the command functions from variables like x,y,z and an active syntax error check that can highlight incorrect lines red while your scripting.
Example: rain /p=x,y,z /r=value /d=value /i=value /c=r,g,b/
Like was stated earlier "I read those square brackets like gypsies read tea leaves..", this could help once we get used to it.
Don't use blue. It's difficult to Read it
Amazing Scripter!

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15
    • View Profile
    • ::)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
So i have taken another look at it and studied it.

Heres what i think, the current syntax is "easy" but not flexible.

This new way if I read it right we don't have to put them in an order nor make them follow a format. This will great for scriptures who want to make here own format in a way in the means of how were order the parameters.

Ex.

say we have the rain command "Rain [x,z] [radius] [duration] [intensity] [r,g,b]" we could make it ordered any way we want and make it to our liking.

Rain /r,g,b /duration /intensity /radius /x,z

This will also be helpful not so much for xbox but PC were instead of finding the script in the game then pasting it in and changing the parameters you would eventually learn how to write out the command in your own format or however so. I feel this will boost the productivity and the amount of people who script.

I hope this is still being considered and hope this will take over the old version.

Also the syntax we talk about on stream a few times, how if scripting was like the mob AI trees i hope can be an options too.