Author Topic:  HW Avatar Concept  (Read 7199 times)

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Old Deus Avatar Art Works
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »
Which is better?

There are a lot of subtle differences between the two aside from the eyes.

The one on the right has purple on the staff, Which i think gives it more of a magical feel than just gray.

I don't much like the purple toes on the feet of the left. Seeing as you said his feet are bare skin, It seems pretty weird. And it's a stark contrast that doesn't quite look right.

As a god, The wraith is likely ambidextrous, However I prefer the staff in the left hand for some reason. Maybe he's a hipster and only holds it in his left hand because all of the other avatars are right handed. Idk

That being said, I do like the eyes, And most of what you've done with the arms. The purple, Again, Does look a bit out of place on his skin. But you can see where his hands are due to that contrast.

Also, Try rotating that bottom ramp on the eyes to face away from the camera, It worked for my mini.

Last thing. I hate you for making even more changes to him... :((

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site 2 years on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HW Avatar Concept
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »
Last thing. I hate you for making even more changes to him...

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Derfen Steve
  • Steam: Derfen Steve
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »
Which is better?

There are a lot of subtle differences between the two aside from the eyes.
yes and they are both much different than the last final,

The one on the right has purple on the staff, Which i think gives it more of a magical feel than just gray.
purple on the staff cannot be used as it clashes to hard with his skin, although I may try redesigning the staff

I don't much like the purple toes on the feet of the left. Seeing as you said his feet are bare skin, It seems pretty weird. And it's a stark contrast that doesn't quite look right.
(I'll consider removing the purple tips)

As a god, The wraith is likely ambidextrous, However I prefer the staff in the left hand for some reason. Maybe he's a hipster and only holds it in his left hand because all of the other avatars are right handed. Idk
I think i do as well, perhaps its just seeing it TOO much has made me swap sides, I'll move it back so both are in left hand

That being said, I do like the eyes, And most of what you've done with the arms. The purple, Again, Does look a bit out of place on his skin. But you can see where his hands are due to that contrast.

Also, Try rotating that bottom ramp on the eyes to face away from the camera, It worked for my mini.
The eyes and surroundings are special so idk if that would help, I designed them to follow you and always stare straight at you no matter which way you look at him from

Last thing. I hate you for making even more changes to him... :((

lol sorry but 2.44 was taking longer than expected so I felt like I had some extra time,

from the last one I have, filled up some holes inside i missed,
Made his wings much more smooth and reduced visible faces, also titanium instead of coal helps it not look as grainy.
I changed his proportions and lowered waistline, and the gold trailings on the inner wing side.
Removed purple slabs on shoulders, Added tracking eyes, changed helmet gem from white to purple,
and fixed a few lighting issues with his back. And removed un-needed blocks/textures such as black.

from here i'll try your suggestion of NO purple on body, only staff/eyes. left handed

Really i'm asking if people want eyes or not on what could be used as a mob

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:42:55 PM by Steve »

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
from the last one I have, filled up some holes inside i missed,
Made his wings much more smooth and reduced visible faces, also titanium instead of coal helps it not look as grainy.
I changed his proportions and lowered waistline, and the gold trailings on the inner wing side.
Removed purple slabs on shoulders, Added tracking eyes, changed helmet gem from white to purple,
and fixed a few lighting issues with his back. And removed un-needed blocks/textures such as black.

from here i'll try your suggestion of NO purple on body, only staff/eyes. left handed

I love how the last time I saw it, You said that one would likely be the last revision except adding eyes.
Now you did all of this stuff to him. XD

Stoneart

• "There's always time to get your block's off"
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Discord link to my game (Coven)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: stoneart
  • PSN: Xx_Phoenix_Down_xX
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »

Really i'm asking if people want eyes or not on what could be used as a mob

I like it without. But you might want to consider, if you haven't, the apperance of the mob in the dark. The gold blocks might cause enough light for it not to matter but black on black is difficult to see. Might really "pop" if the eyes are added.

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
I felt the use of many colors threw him off, so I reworked him yet again, this time into a pure greenstone version,
also flattened the front of the model, and reworked the sides of the robe and arms/shoulders, he now looks better in 360%

I have to say when compared to the original one, pretty much every single block has been replaced, more than 90%
Instead of looking like a bright blur from afar, you can actually make out his features. the difference from afar is night and day.
It now fits much more nicely in the npc lineup that Stephen has created.

So hopefully It will look alright when the NPC update is released and you can spawn and fight him.

Spoiler for Hidden Content:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:18:32 AM by Steve »

Jared

• Supreme Member
  • |Trivia & Maze Designer| |Previous TMF Tester|
  • Awards 3 years on site 4 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jeff McNewmen
  • PSN: Jeff_McNewmen
  • Steam: Jeff McNewmen
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »
Very cool, I like how you went with the greenstone look, it really brings out the true Wraith feeling. Nice work.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
I felt the use of many colors threw him off, so I reworked him yet again, this time into a pure greenstone version,
also flattened the front of the model, and reworked the sides of the robe and arms/shoulders, he now looks better in 360%

I have to say when compared to the original one, pretty much every single block has been replaced, more than 90%
Instead of looking like a bright blur from afar, you can actually make out his features. the difference from afar is night and day.

So hopefully It will look alright when the NPC update is released and you can spawn and fight him.

Youuuuuuuuuu!

XD Now the model you shared me is completely out of date. So my attempts at adding battle damage stages are also outdated. :P

On a side note, I remember that my modification to the original wraith had a lot of green on him. It looked good then, And it looks good now.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »

Youuuuuuuuuu!

XD Now the model you shared me is completely out of date. So my attempts at adding battle damage stages are also outdated. :P

On a side note, I remember that my modification to the original wraith had a lot of green on him. It looked good then, And it looks good now.

Yes way out of date now,

I promise i'm done with him now, At least major noticeable changes, Any more fiddling and I will ruin it somehow, I've already severely mangled the back of his wings by shaving off 2 depth in an attempt to slim his depth down, I also flattened his robe in the front by 1 depth, both these changes I'm taking a wager on, as It looks noticeably worse close up, but from afar and when viewing from 360% angles it seems to look more like a typical flat avatar which is what the origanal was lacking. At this point I don't think there is anything I can improve on this model, besides minor variants. But you must understand If i'm to never change it again, I want it to be correct, I think It goes without saying that it has exceeded my expectations, It looks quite majestic in person now. It's As opulent as I could make it without over cluttering/coloring it and still have it fit reasonably well into the current avatar line-up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM by Steve »

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »
Yes way out of date now,

I promise i'm done with him now, At least major noticeable changes, Any more fiddling and I will ruin it somehow, I've already severely mangled the back of his wings by shaving off 2 depth in an attempt to slim his depth down, I also flattened his robe in the front by 1 depth, both these changes I'm taking a wager on, as It looks noticeably worse close up, but from afar and when viewing from 360% angles it seems to look more like a typical flat avatar which is what the origanal was lacking. At this point I don't think there is anything I can improve on this model, besides minor variants. But you must understand If i'm to never change it again, I want it to be correct, I think It goes without saying that it has exceeded my expectations, It looks quite majestic in person now.

You said that last time. XD
You still have a little bit of fiddling to do if you want eyes on him. :P

I do agree that he looks very nice now.
Although I could be very nitpicky if I wanted.

For example, It may look better if you shave one block off of the width on either side of the robe. And maybe use some stairs to smooth it out a bit more.

Anyyyway!
Did you know that people have copies of the old old model with the derpy extended arm? I find that funny.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
Yes way out of date now,

I promise i'm done with him now, At least major noticeable changes, Any more fiddling and I will ruin it somehow, I've already severely mangled the back of his wings by shaving off 2 depth in an attempt to slim his depth down, I also flattened his robe in the front by 1 depth, both these changes I'm taking a wager on, as It looks noticeably worse close up, but from afar and when viewing from 360% angles it seems to look more like a typical flat avatar which is what the origanal was lacking. At this point I don't think there is anything I can improve on this model, besides minor variants. But you must understand If i'm to never change it again, I want it to be correct, I think It goes without saying that it has exceeded my expectations, It looks quite majestic in person now.

You said that last time. XD
You still have a little bit of fiddling to do if you want eyes on him. :P

I do agree that he looks very nice now.
Although I could be very nitpicky if I wanted.

For example, It may look better if you shave one block off of the width on either side of the robe. And maybe use some stairs to smooth it out a bit more.
It wont be proportionate with the upper lower part if I do that + I already changed it substantially compared to the version I shared to you

Anyyyway!
Did you know that people have copies of the old old model with the derpy extended arm? I find that funny.

Yes, frightening isn't it... It still haunts me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:46:11 AM by Steve »

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
Yes, frightening isn't it... It still haunts me.

It's amazing how much you can change the concept of the wraith to look good, While still having it recognisable as the same character.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:41:52 AM by Dryym »

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
Yes, frightening isn't it...

It's amazing how much you can change the concept of the wraith to look good, While still having it recognisable as the same character.

I agree, its been quite the adventure taking the original and changing him so vastly, I did not think I would get so far when I first started the redesign. Thinking back on it now its quite hard to remember where I started first.

I'm sure that the avatar could be reimagined yet again, but to do that I would need to start from scratch. I'm fairly certain I've exhausted most of the potential for this model.

Truly all that can be done now is color variants, and most of that is all personal preference. I just tend to think black green and gold is simple, elegant, flattering, and suits the overall theme of the wraith.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
Truly all that can be done now is color variants, and most of that is all personal preference. I just tend to think black green and gold is simple, elegant, flattering, and suits the overall theme of the wraith.

It's funny you should say this.

I did a colour variant of the version you gave me. Dark Red replaces the gold, Serpentine replaces the grey and dark green on the cloak, Flint replaces greenstone, Copper replaces the white on the staff and badge, And the halo was given a dark grey colour from bedrock, With a pattern inside it.

I dubbed it the "Blood Wraith" and it looks pretty cool. The serpentine looks great for the cloak.

I couldn't do anything with the wings without them looking weird due to some artefacts you left because they were impossible to see in the black.

And I was too lazy to completely redo the wings.

I'll have to show it to you at some point.

I also slimmed his robe in the way I suggested to you. It doesn't look disproportionate to me, It looks more natural. Although that may just be me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:39:53 AM by Dryym »

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
I am curious.

Did you create that concept art? Or is it being used for reference?

I had to break up with Medusa. I just got sick of buying mice for her hair.
I should have ended it sooner, but you try looking into those eyes.