Author Topic:  HW Avatar Concept  (Read 5461 times)

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
Re: Old Deus Avatar Art Works
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
I can provide that in game look pic(s) if Steve wishes. It looks just like he does in the pic that was posted albeit a lot smaller and a little smoother due to the Avatar Palette TP.

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Derfen Steve
  • Steam: Derfen Steve
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
I liked the older model in the OP much better. I think there is too much going on with the new one. The color clashing detracts from the model because there is just too many different colors that don't work to compliment each other. You have green, yellow, gold, blue, purple, white, gray, dark gray, brown, black, cyan and possible an orange block I spy there. (Even more on his back that can't be seen here) Far too much detail there just doesn't look as good to me and makes his characteristics a huge pain to distinguish. Everything that should be graceful about him is lost in the detail instead of further brought out.

The only miss-matched color on him would be his dark green wings, this was used because the stone wall texture could not be used. as it looked horrendous, As of now it looks 100x better (in-game) than the first model.

All those colors complement the others except maybe the green wings.

I'd try and simplify the colors a bit once again. I'd also get rid of all of his swords too. He has too much stuff. He would look better holding only the staff as it is easily the most fitting for him. (And in the future move the staff to his back so he can keep it after animation. It will actually be in the way now if you feel you want to go ahead and make the switch)

I agree I put way too much on him, He even has swords on his back as well lol, But Im just having fun with it right now because the hands will need to be empty during animations.

That was the plan once animations come out, to place the staff on his back, Its bearable to see it duel wielding atm.

He does have alot of stuff, frankly though the only thing I think is out of place are the dark dots on the staff, And I should of used carbon for the wings and maybe the duel swords on his back are overkill. Which is very few, I worried more about the overall body shape and design than if he has a lot of items.

Other than that, blue/yellow/purple/gold/grey work marvels together and don't clash. Its the green. which could be darker grey instead. But Theres plenty of time for all that before animations, at this point in time, I have messed with it too much already.

From any real builders standpoint, Or just looking at it as an NPC statue,
V2 is way more advanced than v1 and The coloration is better, With the exception of wings.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:38:44 PM by Steve »

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »
The over-all shape is great, all sides are smooth and nothing seems out of place as far as the base model goes.

Only complaint is that you added 4-5 things that are not needed that frankly make the avatar look worse but does make it more impactfull (Which is what your looking for) So over all good.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
Exactly metal, Im well aware of what I have done with it.
The idea is, Its supposed to stand out And generate conversation.
Without being too farfetched from the others, because I really love the look of the current avatars.
 :P ;) ::)

And conman, you can only place one down per map, so its not like You will see it spammed everywhere. Thats the whole idea, I don't WANT to see it placed down alot...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:50:34 PM by Steve »

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »
After seeing the in game picture, I realized that it was the purple and blue colors that stand out too much, and make it feel so cluttered. If those were to be changed to something softer, and closer in coloration to the rest of the avatar, it might make the NPC more... useable.

And conman, you can only place one down per map, so its not like You will see it spammed everywhere. Thats the whole idea, I don't WANT to see it placed down alot...

It does have an almost godly look to it, so having the total number limited makes complete sense. With some small changes, I would be excited to use this on any world I create.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 11:09:08 PM »

It has been reworked yet again... lol

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »

Looks tons better, Sword still in the way tho, maby try replace it with some kind of dagger instead.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:22 PM »

Better, but I still dislike the blue box texture. Its too detailed for something so small.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:54 AM »

I'm liking it so far, but there is something that is bothering me... It's that it generally has a bit too much detailing going into it, making it overly complicated. Too much going on, and it starts to irritate the eyes. Maybe lengthen the arms a bit, too? I am liking it a lot, so far. Keep up the good work!

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:44 AM »
I'm liking it so far, but there is something that is bothering me... It's that it generally has a bit too much detailing going into it, making it overly complicated. Too much going on, and it starts to irritate the eyes. Maybe lengthen the arms a bit, too? I am liking it a lot, so far. Keep up the good work!
Arms are proportionate to the body, so unless he makes the torso larger he hands should stay there
(Also if he was to make the torso larger he would have to shorten the robe therefore having to re-do most of it)

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »
I remember i used Opal for the wings when i was messing around with the blocks on your world that one time, And it looked pretty nice in Original SD, If the texture is the same in the avatar palette texture pack, You may want to try it.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
Textures for avatar palette are different. It doesn't look as bad in game because the avatar palette has smooth textures. The aliasing is playing a part it hurting the eyes here. The newer version should be much easier on the eyes than the previous. The sword is probably the culprit that makes him look over detailed due to its location. There is no color clashing this time around on the main body. Everything works nicely together.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
Textures for avatar palette are different. It doesn't look as bad in game because the avatar palette has smooth textures. The aliasing is playing a part it hurting the eyes here.

The opal Texture in Original SD looks sort of black/Grey with orangeish cracks, If i remember correctly.
Does this carry over to the Avatar palette texture pack, Or is this completely swapped out to a flat colour for the purpose of avatar making?

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 12:18:49 PM »
The opal Texture in Original SD looks sort of black/Grey with orangeish cracks, If i remember correctly.
Does this carry over to the Avatar palette texture pack, Or is this completely swapped out to a flat colour for the purpose of avatar making?

Most of the original blocks are either smoothed out or turned into eyeballs. I don't remember what Opal was on the pack. Also I think Opal leaned towards cracks that were more of a red than orange. Could just be TV settings.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
Most of the original blocks are either smoothed out or turned into eyeballs. I don't remember what Opal was on the pack. Also I think Opal leaned towards cracks that were more of a red than orange. Could just be TV settings.

Ah Yes, You're right.
If opal is the same texture, I think it could look nice as at least an accent on the wings